Thread: Premier 6.0 Monitor Edits look great - but export is out of sync

Default Premier 6.0 Monitor Edits look great - but export is out of sync

This is a very strange problem I have encountered after having been using Premier for years.

When I edit in the timeline (from a single .mov file) the edits look great in the monitor. I can play the entire sequence and see everything fine on the monitor.

However, when I export the timeline into any format the edits don't hold true. For example on one clip it picks up data that should have been erased entirely. On another clip it is out of sync with the audio.

During editing I encountered a freakish problem that may be part of the issue. Whenever I used the razor to cut up the original file, the clip before and after the cut would lose their place. I would have to drag the files shorter and then extend them back to their orginal length in order for them to resync with their correct location in the original film (or so I thought).

After having exported it I compared the clip timecode in the exported movie with the same spot in the timeline. If I scrub along the timeline the images that should be exported are showing. However if I take that clip in the timeline and shorten it - as I drag the clip shorter the incorrect image shows up that matches the exported clip. It's like the timeline edits are out of sync with the actual clip. Not all of them but some.

Anyway, I'm frustrated because the edited film looks and sound perfect in the preview monitor and plays without a glitch. If there was only a way to capture that window and save it as a .mov I would do it. However, the exported file has all kinds of random problems (and not on every clip either). Very weird.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
    Last edited by superhawk76; 10-05-2006 at 05:58 AM.

Blog Entries

I would recommend a start point of performing routine mainainance / housekeeping on your PC: remove large unwanted files and defragment your HDDs. This kind of problems can often manifest due to badly structured drives.

Do you think that if I moved the files and project to another machine with Premier on it - my edits would be okay?

Ok - I moved all of the project files to another machine and tried it there - the same thing persists.

In my case I'm not positive that it is due to a badly formatted drive as I have 32 gigs free on the original machine's drive. It was only recently setup.

Any other feedback or ideas would be appreciated.

At this point if anyone knows of any great screen captures or ways to get the monitor preview and audio to be captured I could use it for this deadline.