Thread: Reverse Shots

Default Reverse Shots

Not to sure if this is the right place to post this message but anyway...
    I was just wondering how people achieve 'reverse shots' when shooting dialogue for films. Do people generally use 2 cameras so each is filming a character talking or do most people here just use one camera to film one character then move it to film the next character after?

Also 1 thing i dont understand for those people using just one camera and recording audio on a seperate device...how do you go about matching audio when you have to keep moving the camera which means one charcter is going to say there lines at a slightley different speed?

thank you

Blog Entries

You really want to avoid using 2 cameras as the complications just get too much.

You may film the whole conversation with both actors playing thier parts from 2 positions (or even more), and then edit together as you need. More positions give the editor more choice in the edit.

or

You can film all the parts each actor says individually, then edit together.

The second way is quicker and only needs one actor working at a time but the first way needs less skill from the actors, but takes longer.

In practice a director will use a mix and match approach depending on what s/he is after and dependant on other demands / restrictions on the set.

Personally if filming a conversation I would do it the first way and edit together as needed after. This way gives you as an editor many choices in how to cut the scene. I might use the second way for a few of the important shots just to get a few more choices.

The above advice is based in a little bit of expirience and a bit of reading.

Thanks very much, the first way does seem more logical and seems a little less demanding from the actors. Just out of curiosity though, how do they do it on big budget sets as in a typical hollywood example? I only ask as i recall being told on even a smaller scale project such as '28 days later' they used over 6 cameras at once. Now i wasnt quite sure why you'd need so many cameras at once except for having 6 experienced DP's on set on a serious mission to save time. Any thoughts? Thanks again

Blog Entries

Well, I aint no expert here but if you can afford the expense and aggrovation of lots of cameras then you have a big advantage in one important respect.... lots of choices for the editor, lots of creative cutting is possible.

Alsd on stunt work the cost of the stunt can be huge and you really only want to do it once, here the cost and aggro of lots of cameras and operators is balanced out by the huge cost of the shot.

Be advised this is not a pro talking here but a keen student of film making who reads stuff.

yeh that makes alot of sence, never thought about it from the perspective from capturing that all important take like a stunt etc. Thanks again