Thread: Punching up old B&W

Default Punching up old B&W

I have started a personal project of adding modern music to an old film (1925). The copy have of the film is not too good and it seems to need some correction to brighten it up and "de-muddy" it. I have a short section of it here where you can see what I'm doing and what I am up against:

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Even though this is just a personal thing for fun, I'd like it to be something friends might enjoy.

Thanx,
    If freedom means anything at all, it is the liberty to tell others what they don't want to hear.

Blog Entries

'Tweaking' old movies is a contentious issue, many say leave well alone.

It actually looks pretty good taking into account the u tube poor quality. I would try tweaking the durves / brightness contrast a bit maybe and perhaps a little bit of sharpening / unsharpening (does a similar thing in a different way). The result may just be different, not better.

Never tried this but maybe the deshaker plug in for v dub may remove some of the jitter, the up and down frmae movement seen. Not sure.

I understand about the tweaking old movies part. But this is a project for a friend. Maybe 1/2 challenge, too. He likes to jerk my chain now and then.

I have been trying the brightness/contrast, but the film is so uneven that it seems like I am doing it every three or four frames and that's just not really practical, is it?

One things that is annoying, is the "glow" around some titles that should just be white on black. I tried the Restore Black feature but it messes up the white too much.
    If freedom means anything at all, it is the liberty to tell others what they don't want to hear.

Blog Entries

I tht i saw some restore black in the u tube version, it just makes the black areas like islands.

What is your friend expecting ?

Because it's me, miracles! LOL He thinks I know all there is about anything to do with computers because I once showed him where the On/Off switch was. It sort of like saving a life in some societies. Forever afterwards, you are responsible for them!

You are right about the Restore Black, I couldn't find any setting on it that looked decent. I suspect I am going to have to live with the poor quality video and concentrate on blending the music in where appropriate.

I was sort of amazed at how much Andrew Lloyd Webber followed the script of the movie. Although the last part starts to vary quite a bit.

I had seen this film years ago (decades, really) on TV as a "Classic Film". Really looking at it in detail now, I can see how much they were able to do with almost no technical tricks at all. Maybe that's why it's a "classic".

Blog Entries

Hmm, Mr Webber has been accused of copying and taking short cuts on many occasions. Many of his best known melodies are nothing more than transpositions of classical tunes palyed at a different tempo, it doesnt suprise me that his interretation is, err, faithfull...

LOL, very perceptive of you. Having worked with the music from "Phantom" quite a bit now, I've noticed that much of it is really the same melody line but altered very slightly in tempo and key. But who are we to criticize? He's wealthy and we are not. At least I am not.

Say, do you think I could sell this idea of mine to him? He could make even more money from stuff he has already done with no further effort on his part. That should appeal to anyone.

Blog Entries

Ha, thats funny. But as you say he is rich, I am not... and he is ugly with a pretty wife !