Thread: Exporting to tape in premier 1.5

Default Exporting to tape in premier 1.5

Hi all

I am trying to export my project to tape.

The project is 28 minutes long and rendered ie green line above the whole project. So i go to the export to tape option, connect my camera, it says DV in on the camera screen. Then i hit record.

The tape starts and it says REC on the camera screen but nothing is on the tape after it finishes. All i get is the default blue screen.

Can anyone tell what i am doing wrong please

Cheers
    DUDE were's my car
    www.myspace.com/cheapdirt07

"Then i hit record"

Where do you hit record? On the camera? Or do you use File>Export Movie>Export to tape in Premiere? (The latter is the way I do it.)

If your pc has detected that your camera is attached, Premiere "should" device control the transfer throughout.

Yes i let premeir do the work, ie using the devise controler. Its says REC on my camera and it looks like it is recording but all i get is a blue screen, once its all over.
    DUDE were's my car

Here's something you could try

Make sure the cam is in playback mode and check in "project settings/general/playback settings" to make sure premiere sees your cam as recording device, and playback the timeline, if the camera is getting the signal the video will play on the cam monitor. Start the cam recording manually and play the timeline.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Tried everything

Done a bit of research on the internet and it looks like my dv input might be disabled. Anyone know how to get it working please.

The camera says dv input but i cannot get a signal to the camera vis firewire/DV in. Premeir activates the camera and it say recording but i get nothing other than the default blue screen.

The computer plus camera are about to leave the room via the window soon, so please help

Also i have 2 different canon cameras a 750i, and 850i both return the same results
    Last edited by FNG; 10-03-2006 at 08:12 AM.
    DUDE were's my car

I have a predecessor to those cameras (the 550i) and the DV in was enabled at the outset. Yours should be OK too - the 'i' bit on the model number is the key. No enabling on the cam should be required. In any event, the fact that the cam says 'DV in' when you're hooked up suggests that (a) the PC is recognising the cam, and (b) the cam is recognising the PC.

I would do as miwhel suggests - scrub the timeline output to the cam. With Premiere running, the camera in playback mode, and the camera connected via firewire, you should be able see your movie on the cameras lcd.

Do you see your movie playing back on the camera's lcd when you record, or is it the blue screen?
    Last edited by bert6280; 10-03-2006 at 02:04 PM.

All i get is the blue screen, i get the blue screen when i manually record also when i let premier do the recording. At no point can i get the camera lcd display to act as a monitor ie i see nothing but blue screen in the camera's lcd display.

I am pretty sure i am missing something here in premier settup, but been through it all a million times and cannot see anything that i am doing wrong.

I have tried the everything that has been surgested here but no joy as yet.

I am pulling my hair out and theres not much left help please
    DUDE were's my car

If you are getting a 'DV in' message on your camera then the camera knows the PC is there.

The problem seems to be that Premiere doesn't know its there - or isn't looking for it.

I don't have the benefit of having the program open in front of me at the moment, but if you go into Project Settings > General > Playback settings, you should see the settings for showing playback on your DV hardware (camera). Are the settings configured correctly? I remember there being an option of scrubbing output to DV device etc.

Failing that, I would try rebooting, switch the camera on (in Playback mode, attached to the PC), and THEN load Premiere.

If you still have no joy then I'd try the camera (and cable) on someone elses system. Alternatively, use another program that utilises the DV in features on your camera - eg. try using WinDV (http://windv.mourek.cz/) to feed an AVI file to your camera.

If it works OK with Win DV, or on another PC but not on yours, then try re-installing Premiere.

PS - Just a thought, but your project's editing mode is DV PAL, right? (Project Settings > General>Editing Mode)
    Last edited by bert6280; 10-04-2006 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks

I have written an e mail to canon to see if they can tell me whats wrong.

Would dv-pal/ntsc make a difference. That is something i haven't even looked at. I will have a look once i get home.

My computer see's the camera and i can upload stuff from the camera to the pc fine, and all i want to do is the reverse but it just doesn't want to work.

thanks
    DUDE were's my car