Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motherboard with no Firewire!?!?!?!

Default Motherboard with no Firewire!?!?!?!

Hi

I'm new to this forum and video editing in general so hope someone can help me here!!!

I've just had a mate supply me with a new pc unit. Now he says he is an expert in these things! I have Magix Movie Edit Pro and I bought a Firewire cable for my Sony DCR HC18 camcorder. When I tried to capture through the Firewire port on the pc the camcorder was not recognised. Now I phone my mate who says the motherboard does not have Firewire capability and that there is a general move away from Firewire towards USB 2.0 so I should connect my camcorder via this port. However, if I try to capture from the USB port on my camcorder it will only capture compressed and poor quality video! So I think the only way to achieve this is to get a cable that will run from the DV Out on my camcorder to the USB 2.0 port on my pc. However, I/m having trouble findinga cable that will do this!

So my basic dilemma is:

1. How do I connect through DV Out to USB 2.0

or

2. Is my mate not talking the whole truth regardin Firewire not being popular anymore and shouild I insist that he fits anew motherboard with Firewire capability?

I know its a bit of a long first post but hope someone can help me!!!

Thanks

Sorry! System details as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
    2.01 GHz 896MB RAM
    Windows XP Pro Version 2
    NVIDIA GeForce 6100
    RealTek 97 AUdio

Blog Entries

Sorry, but your mate sounds like a plonker.

Firewire is the only way to capture - period. It was designed for this from the off. It is much faster than usb 2 in real world applications - believe me I have tested this. USB is complete arse for capturing - never use it.

All you need to do is to get your 'mate' to fit a firewire card to your pc, about 10 quis, and then you are sorted.

I am absoloutly sure about all this.

Incidentally, if you want an outboard drive get a f wire one too, much faster transfers. I have tested this too.

BTW - nice user name
    Last edited by Mark W; 10-01-2006 at 12:47 PM.

He's Right, You do need a Firewire port, You should have had a pro build it, if its not got firewire its proberly an older board so will be a little slower.

I'd Check out the Hrad drives used as well, I would guess that they are not the best for the things you want to do.
    Need Pro Computer advice?

Mighty you say 'Now he says he is an expert in these things!' and 'there is a general move away from Firewire towards USB 2.0' this is the biggest pile of crap I have ever heard, your so called mate might know how all the components got together but then so does my 10 year old daughter. I fear he may have ripped you off slightly be putting a crappy cheap and probably very old mobo in. Get him to put a NEW mobo in after all you have paid for it and if he doesn't B~#+h slap him.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Here in the UK, Sony and JVC seem to be the only manufacturers supplying HDD Camcorders of a reasonable price.
    Both only have USB 2 and S-video output. Has anyone experience using these cameras and what is the quality of the video.

7. Default

When I tried to capture through the Firewire port on the pc the camcorder was not recognised
    Others seem to have missed this but if your post is correct you DO have firewire. Camera not recognized is another issue.

First be sure that the actual drivers are installed for the firewire. In your device manger list it should show IEEE 1394 adaapter. Lets see if that shows up first before we go any further.

Hmmm, well spotted Evereddie, I must learn to read the posts properly before i go jumping in.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

9. Default

Yeesby, all in all your points are correct. USB2 is not a replacement for firwire.

The mobo is probably OK just needs drivers. Or maybe the friend knows there is someting wrong with the mobo's firewire capability and is trying to stear away from it. Worst case an add on board will fix him right up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yeebsy View Post
    Hmmm, well spotted Evereddie, I must learn to read the posts properly before i go jumping in.
    OOpps- me too apparently....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast