Thread: PC config for Editing

Question PC config for Editing

hi guys

i desperately need your help!

i ve a pc with 2 ghz p4, 768 ram, 80 gb hdd, a simple IEEE1394 firewire card for capturing...

the prob is during editing with any sotware (generally i use premiere pro) the video preview is sluggish...

can anyone tell me what do i need to get a smooth preview within NLE s/w during editing.

do i need an agp card or a decent editing card will do the job ? or do i need both of them ?

plz help me out!

Blog Entries

A very slow g card can slow preview but we are talking ancient here. My 'slow' monitors are powered by a quad head pci card that is only 2d and 8mb per monitor. Great for 2d but chugs on anything with video.

Any modern card will be fine, just about any 3d agp card ahould be fast enough. To speed up the preview you need a faster cpu.

Some editors can make use of faster g cars and some can link with very pricey cards deisgned to work in tandem with a particular editor (matrox rtx 100 i think, may work with premier), but these cards are well expensive and you really will only get the full benefot if you have a speedy pc.

A 2ghz p4 is about the minimum you can edit with, I started with a similar speed cpu a few years ago and could only preview in small windows at low quality.

I would suggest a pc upgrade.

Default PC config for Editing

thnx mark! a pc upgrade!

well until i get enough money to upgrade my pc...will a decent 3d agp card help speed up preview during editing ?

Blog Entries

What is your current card ?

Where are you previewing back from, is it the hard disk or RAM? You could try and see if you need to defragment your hard disk and if you have any background utilites running aswell either stop them starting up completely or just disable them and see if that makes a difference. Also things like anti virus software and screensavers can be switched off but that is usually only a problem during video capture. A 2Ghz cpu is the bare minimum for video work, get one around a 2.8 or a 3.0 whichever one you can afford and if you can get some more RAM memory to take you up to 1Gb that would certainly help. Does a 2Ghz P4 have Hyperthreading? Another feature especially Adobe Premiere Pro looks for is SSE (sorry, but I haven't got around to finding out what exactly that is, but thankfully I have it on this computer).

Default PC config for Editing

to mark's question i currently don't have any agp card...i m using motherboard's integrated graphics chip for display...it shares a max of 8 mb ram.

i think the video preview is played from ram. i regularly defragment my hdd...so no prob there.
    i don't have any background prog running except for antivirus(mcafee).

oops! i ve sse2 processor. my p4 2ghz doesn't ve ht.
    Last edited by pa_ssion00; 10-01-2006 at 03:28 AM.