Thread: Vegas vs. Pinnacle

Question Vegas vs. Pinnacle

I capture video using a Sony DV-deck at work connected via Firewire to a windows XP machine. I am currently using Pinnacle Studio v.9. Each project that I create in Pinnacle Studio ends up being about 1.5 hours long and I need to render about 15-20 of such projects to WMV format. I am looking to switch to Vegas as I have heard of its better performance. Can someone comment on the following?

1. Does it render video to WMV faster than Pinnacle?
    2. Can it directly capture video to MPEG format (I capture directly to MPEG format because it helps reduce the file size and processing time)
    3. Is there a way to batch render.?I leave the rendering overnight. It would be nice if there was a way to specify multiple projects and set them for rendering.

Thanks for your help.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by divya125 View Post
    I capture video using a Sony DV-deck at work connected via Firewire to a windows XP machine. I am currently using Pinnacle Studio v.9. Each project that I create in Pinnacle Studio ends up being about 1.5 hours long and I need to render about 15-20 of such projects to WMV format. I am looking to switch to Vegas as I have heard of its better performance. Can someone comment on the following?

Yes, a lot faster!

2. Can it directly capture video to MPEG format (I capture directly to MPEG format because it helps reduce the file size and processing time)

It will not capture Analog video, If you do any editing you'll get beter performance with AVi

3. Is there a way to batch render.?I leave the rendering overnight. It would be nice if there was a way to specify multiple projects and set them for rendering.

It won't do batch rendering as is but if you go over to Jetdv.com you can get a script that will allow you to do this. Thr nice thing about vegas is you get scripts to do just about anything.

Thanks for your help.
    D

Vegas 7 just came out and you'll need DVDA 4 to make dvds. You won't need it to make WMV files though.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

I can't answer this. I have no comparative experience.

No. But you COULD capture in AVI, render MPEG and THEN delete the AVI. It's a solution, but not the one you wanted to hear.

"It will not capture Analog video, . . "

Hmmm... In conjunction with an AV<>DV Card I can setup my Vegas Capturing program to allow an analogue stream to be "captured". Using the AV<>DV conversion gets the DV into the pc, and thence onto VidCap in Vegas. I DO have to set up VidCap to do a Manual Capture and of course I get no device controls - but having said that, I can and DO capture analogue, albeit via a converter. But then again tell me what software wouldn't use a converter of some sort to get AV into a DV capturing utility?

As part of the Vegas suite I got the "Batch Render" script. The SONY Script is very comprehensive indeed.

Indeed, Edward's site IS chock full of stuff - don't miss out on his free newsletters either!

Blog Entries

Just uninformed opinion follows...

I would be suprised if there is a great deal of differnece between different editors in rendering to wmv as the guts of the codec are independant of the editor.