Thread: Keyframe Smoothness

Question Keyframe Smoothness

What is the best setting for keyframe smoothness? It seems I have read somewhere that in Pan and Crop it should be set to 0. But I have a sample from Sony that in Track Motion, it is set to 100 and in Pan and Crop set to 1.000.

Sp what's the deal on this. I have been setting the P&C to 0 but sometimes I forget and don't notice any difference. What am I missing? (this time)
    If freedom means anything at all, it is the liberty to tell others what they don't want to hear.

Blog Entries

Mark W has the solution to this one, he's posted it a couple of times I think.... very useful tip as I remember. Try a search, it's in here somewhere...

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slrman View Post
    What is the best setting for keyframe smoothness?
    This trips up a lot of people - myself included. It is the understanding of terms that is the key here:

Smoothness = An effect that can allow the passage of time to be smoothed through out the length of the Event. This means that the "smoothness" effect can be adjusted from a value of 100 OR 100% smoothness effect - down to 0 OR 0% smoothness. effect. If you like we are altering the "quantity of smoothness" or range of smoothness.

In reality this means that the way Vegas treats an Event using the "Linear" effect is to SPEED-UP or accelerate from a standing start, to somewhere around a mid point and then decelerate to a standstill. Now, you can adjust this "amount" of smoothness by using the Keyframe interpolation slider. Again removing ALL smoothness OR ZERO or 0% will make the "Linear" format Key Frame start abruptly ( no smoothing! ) continue at this constant speed and when it gets to its finished keyframe abruptly STOP (again, no smoothing!)

Sp what's the deal on this. I have been setting the P&C to 0 but sometimes I forget and don't notice any difference. What am I missing? (this time)
    Maybe what you are missing is understanding just how extraordinarily subtle Vegas is making this work for you.

Truly The BEST way to understand this it to prepare a very simple "SAMPLE TEXT" Event and in Pan/Crop set up 2 keyframes. At the start of the event your first KF having the TEXT appear in the top RIGHT HAND corner of the Frame. 2nd KF with the text in the LOWER LEFT HAND corner of the frame.

This For Linear

• 100% Smoothness Test: Now set BOTH KFs to Linear and apply 100% KF Interpolation. You will see the SAMPLE TEXT accelerate and then decelerate to its stop - Linear has had 100% Smoothness applied to it.
    • 0% Smoothness Test: Now set BOTH KFs to Linear and apply 0% KF Interpolation. You will see the SAMPLE TEXT abruptly start, stay at a constant speed and come to abrupt stop - Linear has had 0% or NO Smoothness applied to it.
    • Applying other variables: Now, you can go on and test ALL the other Formats! Smooth; Slow, Fast, Sharp - applying to either OR both KFs. You can also ADJUST the amount of SMOOTHNESS of that effect/format - you WILL be totally amazed!!
    So . . .

What is the best setting for keyframe smoothness?
    . . well, it is as variable as your creativity wishes it to be. Vegas just DOES it! - Well mostly, anyway . .

Grazie, thank you. That was an excellent explanation and now I know better what to do. I will certainly play with this on one of my current videos.
    Thanks again, great job.
    If freedom means anything at all, it is the liberty to tell others what they don't want to hear.