Thread: Intermediate capture/edting purchase...

Default Intermediate capture/edting purchase...

I'm a relative beginner to editing, though exper at Win MM; and wish to make a wise capture/editing purchase. Would you comment on my considerations?
    I wish to capture analog/VHS & S-VHS/DVD/DV/WMV and other formats initially, with future editing capabilities for HDV if possible. Budget from $300- 700 or so initially. With fireware card addition, I am most inclined to Canopus ADVC 110 or Datavision 200 boxes(read review-comparison, 200 deemed superior image quality), wonder what you feel about the cost/benefits of Canopus 300, and am curious whether you feel that the Canopus AceDVio card would offer any advantages over firewire Convertors (Edius info states realtime editing funtions with card-?).

Most of my source will be HQ S-VHS (JVC HR-S9800 w/s-vid). Will the 300 offer appreciable benefits with my S-VHS w/TBC- material? What do you think offers the best solution? Conversion to MPEG-2 as well as DV would be great for analog unedited archival.

Software editing considered needs to be a not-too-steep learning curve and includes Ulead Studio, Vegas 7, and Edius Pro 4. I have read things like "Vegas is user-friendly but limited video features"; Ulead as "easy user interface, stable, but clutzy", and for Edius, only one forum user's opinion (highly complimentary!). My computer system is reasonably powerful. Realtime editing features were at one time a strong desire, but the Matrox RX-100 is no longer available( nor is the Canopus DVstorm), so any realtime is simulation-downrez preview dependent on CPU power, it seems. All work will be authored for DVD. I am unsure if editing of DD 5.1 within editing prog is better than what can be incorporated with an authoring program, and some analog source will be DVD or analog Direct TV with Dolby 5.1... therefore, does Vegas audio capabilities matter much? What about Edius influenced your decision to use it as editing program, if you do?

Thank you in advance for your opinions on these quandries of mine.
    Steve
    jazscat
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 09-24-2006 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Pasted attached text into post
    Eschew Obfuscation..

Blog Entries

I dont use a capture card / box so cant comment but the canopus box is widely used and favoured.

As for editing, i use vegas and find it easy to use and powerfull, but I havent really tried all the others for very long. I dont think vegas is inderpowered in the video department as it has lots of keyframeable effects.

Sometimes it is criticised by pros as it uses an 8 bit colour space not 10 bit like some other progs that the pros favour, but I dont think that is a probelm for most of us, to be honest I aqm not really sure how that effects a user.

Thanks mark-

I started out somewhat inclined to the Ulead MediaStudio, but keep reading encouraging opinions on the Vegas 6 & 7.... and the Canopus AceDVio card, if not also the other firewire converters, supposedly enhances capabilities with Vegas. I am likely to choose between the Vegas and Edius, and want more opinions on the Edius system and any unique benefits, first...

Steve
    Eschew Obfuscation..

Quote Originally Posted by jazscat View Post
    want more opinions on the Edius system and any unique benefits, first...

Steve
    miwhel, where are you, mate?

Blog Entries

I cant grasp how a off board dv box will improve vegas in practice other than maybe providing a way to view the preview screen on a 'proper' video monitor. This could also be done cheaper probably using a camera as a dv to analog video convertor.

I really dont think it is needed.

Capturing via a f wire card is a cinch.

I think it turns out your right, Mark; the AceDVio card only offers what the converter boxes offer: analog "pre-edit", "post-dv conversion" video monitoring...
    http://www.canopus.com/products/ACEDVio/advantage.php (second to last bullet-point)

However, the converter boxes (advc 110, poss 300 & Datavision 200) offer Macrovision elimination, I believe... and I'm not sure the card will. Is there any reason the AceDVio card would be preferable to a Firewire converter box? Hardware conversion benefits not obtained in a card?

BTW, I have no cam, yet... editing and vid creation to be done with all outside video material and stills... and existing or personally-created music, including DD 5.1 audio...

Steve
    Eschew Obfuscation..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jazscat View Post
    .... including DD 5.1 audio...

Steve
    You should be impressed with Vegas' 5.1 editing capabilities. I personally love it. The option of real time panning is wonderful and used in conjunction with all the plug-ins you can create some real masterpieces. I recently used it to mix around 24 tracks of live music, crowd, click track and other stuff. The results were outstanding. (In my humble opinion! ) If only I had a Bond style action piece to do....

Blog Entries

jazscat - I cant see the benefit, for me at least, of anything more than a boring firewire card, just and orinary 10 quid job. Unless you want to capture from analogue sources.

Default reply to Mark and Andy

Mark & Andy:

Please open text att. concerning reply

Thanx
    Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Eschew Obfuscation..

Lightbulb nero edit audio woes

When Capturing dv in Pinnacle Studio 7 (fron Sony DV TRV 525) the captured Video infomation appears in one "pane" and audio information in another "pane". As a result the two tracks can be edited independently.
    When capturing dv in Nero Vision 4 the Video and audio appear in the same "pane". Is there a way to split the two tracks (audio and Video) apart so they too can be edited independently?? (or am I doing something wrong in the capturing process?) Thanks. PLR