Thread: Which filter should I use?

Question Which filter should I use?

I am using an XM2 and the lighting conditions are orange/ sodium lighting inside a school hall. The curtains have are kept closed to prevent the local chavs from peering in. After experimenting with the auto settings and manual white balance I am still getting an unhealthy orange tinge on the tape. As well as a filter would I be better using a lamp with the camera?

Blog Entries

Be careful if you're expecting a filter to help you.

Remember...A coloured (or "correcting" ) filter can only remove a particular colour of light. The problem with sodium lighting is that it only provides light in a very narrow spectrum. So, if you get a filter to "filter out" the orange, you'll be left with almost nothing. A blue filter doesn't add blue, it removes red and green. (Red and green light make orange btw).
    In the same way, relying on the camera's white balance to "correct" the orange cast is a bit risky.

You'd be far better off getting a few lights and positioning them with a bit of care. If you're not too hot on the lighting skills, then try "bouncing" the light off the ceiling, walls, white boards etc.

Blog Entries

I suggest site lights, cheap and bright, assuming the hall isnt too big.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...14963&id=11281

A 500w uplighter for 5 quid. A few of those may do the trick.

How big is the hall roughly? Camcorder mounted lights are too low powered in terms of their output and can get very hot very quickly. You would also need a separate battery pack to run it or if ran from the camcorder it would cut your recording times dramatically. A question for both Mark W and The Guru, what are lights used on location shoots called, I know they are called Blondes and Redheads but are they not Sodium lights and they have blue gels placed in front of them to simulate daylight, by removing the orange cast.

Blog Entries

I dont own any (yet) but blondes and reds are not sodium lights. They are halogen tungsten filament bulbs that give a continuous spectrum and can be fitted with gels to change the light temperature. The very cheap site lights i mentioned are similar but of a lower output, 500w, reds are 800 and blondes up to 2000w. I think the site lightes may be slightly lower in temp, more red as I think reds and blondes may be slightly 'overdriven' meaning a hotter light, bluer, but with a shorter bulb life.

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...=bulb_fex-2000