Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK JOB: Producer needed for gaming web TV channel

Exclamation UK JOB: Producer needed for gaming web TV channel *updated*

Hello all,

I didn't receive a reply from the mods as to whether it is ok to be posting this here, so if it isn't, please move it to the right place, thanks.

Producer, Pro-G TV

Description

Pro-G Media operates Pro-G (www.pro-g.co.uk), one of the most popular and fastest growing online video games publications in the UK. The Company is soon launching an Internet video streaming service titled ‘Pro-G TV’.

Representing a key role in the Company, the Producer will need to be reliable with excellent time management. Working with industry standard equipment, the job will involve taking part in a huge range of projects requiring a broad range of skills, some of which you will know, and many of which you will learn - gaining valuable experience. Boredom will definitely not be on the agenda, especially in this fast moving industry - the job will take you across the country and occasionally across the globe to cover all manner of press events, games conventions, and product launches.

Key Competencies
    • Experience in filming with broadcast quality DV camera equipment
    • Familiar with a variety of shooting techniques (for TV-style news reporting, interviews, features)
    • Also skilled at video editing and cutting, able to produce professional-looking edits complete with audio relatively quickly
    • Basic understanding of audio/lighting set-ups
    • An interest video games
    • HD camera operation/capture/editing experience a plus

Benefits
    • Travel around the country and globe
    • Free to develop creative ideas
    • Valuable share options

Starting Salary + Details

Starting at £16,000 PA
    • Travel expenses paid
    • Bonuses based on company performance
    • Excellent accommodation available with heavily subsidised rent, utility bills paid for

To Apply

Please send your CV and if possible links to any examples of video work you have produced to jobs@pro-g.co.uk, complete with notes briefly describing how you were involved in creating the video and the equipment and software you used to film/edit it.

If you are unable to supply examples of your work online, please send a CD or DVD to:

23 Gorse Road
    Shirley
    Croydon
    Surrey
    CR0 8LH
    Last edited by Exnor; 09-23-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Blog Entries

That's a serious amount of work (and a high degree of talent required) for such low remuneration! I assume therefore that you're looking for a school leaver to fill the role?

This is also a fairly unorthodox way of advertising a job opportunity. Incidently, as site admin, no contact was made with me about posting the advert and I've moved it to "pimp the link".

Hi Mark, thanks for moving the thread.

The salary is actually rather misleading, as we can provide accommodation for between £100-200 with bills included as well as travel expenses. As a result, the net pay each month is what you could expect for a £20-22k job with the same sort of accomodation in greater London.

That's not forgetting the benefits of course - travelling around the country/globe covering video games for a living is often considered a dream for many! Also, working with industry standard HD equipment will give the candidate a huge amount of experience.

You're right though, this job is perfectly suited to a Media Studies or Media Production graduate, but of couse as far as we're concerned, the more experience the better.

The demand was somewhat overstated, so i've edited the post to make this clearer.

Blog Entries

As much as the charms of Croydon would be attractive as it stands, subsidised permanent accomodation is not normally something you'd see attached to a job offer. I'm sure we could argue the toss over how much this represents in monetary terms, but I'm always one for a "what you see is what you get" offer.

Payment of travel expenses would also be considered to be the norm. You would never expect a chap to pay for their own flights if business demanded, would you? Hell, I've been 'paid' to attend job interviews if that's considered as part of remuneration!

If the role is worth £20-22k, why not advertise the role at that price? Apologies if this is seen as critisism, but that's the "price" you pay for advertsing in a public forum!

Thanks for your comments, Marc.

a) The accommodation is not in Croydon, nor was it mentioned that it was anywhere in the offer.

b) I think you could agree that accommodation inside brand new 5 bedroom houses in the SE28 region exceed the £100-200 range for rent. And I would doubt they include bills. I think it would be fair to say that the net pay the candidate will receive is that of someone on £20-22k living in this area.

c) You're right, this certainly isn't normally something you'd see attached to a job offer, and this is no ordinary job offer. The fact accommodation is provided means the job is open to anyone in the country.

It is a rare opportunity and there are many people that would give an arm and a leg for an entry into the games industry. Demand also outweighs supply in the Media production industry, as demonstrated by the vast majority of jobs on crew boards with "Lo/No/Deferred Payment", based on the fact so many people want experience.

This job gives the candidate the somewhat rare opportunity to use and manage a vast range of very expensive HD equipment, with trips across the globe to cover and take-part in lavish events - this point alone is enough to warrant such a salary.

d) Do you not agree it is better to avoid ambiguity and state the position comes with travel expenses paid rather than leave it vague?

Blog Entries

Jeepers, and I thought nurses were poorly paid, but it does look, er, glamerous, well if you think travel is glamerous per se. I think it is just hard slog. Looks like a keen young type might be tempted to give thier every waking hour to this, er, oppertunity.

Sounds like serfdom a bit really. I dont think I would want my employer to have power over my living arrangements really.

I just watched Remains Of The Day again... those servents got a house with the job, guess they were happy.

As you say a great oppertunity to gain experience and perhaps fill up your passport. That will probably attract someone younger and far less cynical than me.

Most computer games are really crap too imho. No innovation anymore is there... It's all better graphics same old race / shoot em up / sooped up platform scenario repeated over and over.

Mark wrote 'Most computer games are really crap too imho. No innovation anymore is there... It's all better graphics same old race / shoot em up / sooped up platform scenario repeated over and over.'

This is sad but true (highjack time) Software developers are concentrating on graphics more than gameplay these days, (just look at BF2 looks sweet but hasn't the gameplay of 1942, same goes for CS-source, very pretty but not a patch on cs 1.3 or 1.6, man im getting old I used to play CS in the BETA days........)

I got into all this by doing exactly what Exnor (well not exactly but close) is after when Counter strike and quake movies were few and far between, and it's bloody hard work.

Exnor I'm sure you will get some young buck to take your offer up , as it is the chance of a life time for a young games head who's into all this. (hell if you pay for me to go to E3 I'll film and edit for a week for nowt)

Good luck.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Thanks yeebsy.

We've actually received an overwealming response, with some amazingly talented people - some even TOO talented (we've had to actually turn them down as they would get bored!)

I realised that demand outweighed supply, but I had no idea it was to this scale. I'm having to sift through around 70 CVs and showreels (it's taken 3 full days so far!), and they continue to pour in - we are yet to advertise on all the boards yet, I don't think we'll have to...

I think part of the reason is that many camera operators/editors are so sick of freelance work and just want some stability. The good thing about all of this is that we really are going to be able to get the ideal candidate (someone that has talent and a passion for gaming, which for us is the perfect combination in this role), and we are spoilt for choice it seems!

Ummm, I take it a free ride to E3 2007 is out of the question then.
    Last edited by yeebsy; 10-03-2006 at 08:29 AM.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Quote Originally Posted by yeebsy View Post
    Ummm, I take it a free ride to E3 2007 is out of the question then.
    The producer will be sent to every major gaming event (including E3, despite the fact that has been drastically downsized now for 2007, Toyko Game Show, GC @ Leipzig Germany, etc.), and many other smaller events/product launches across the UK and Europe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast