Thread: Quality vs. Size

Default Quality vs. Size

I have recently been given the task of editing video recordings that we do of web demos. Seeing as prior to this I have never done any editing in my life, I just did what I could to get the video out. I was told by our IT tech that the video needs to be 150mb (keep in mind this is roughly an hour long presentation) max in order for people to download it and it not take forever. However, the sales people want a high quality video that looks the same as the live presentation. So now I am stuck.

I have tried making the video in various different ways, but I can't get it to come out without looking like crap. Actually, I can't even get Vegas to let me render the video in anything larger than 720x480. Anytime I do, I get the following error message "The custom template you selected is not valid with the current project settings. It has been filtered out of the template list". I can't figure out why. I have tried several different save options in .avi, .wmv and tried changing all the settings in each.

So I guess I basically have two questions.

1. Is it feasible to get a 1 hourish video in 1280x1024 resolution into a 150mb file?
    2. Why the hell can't I get it to make anything larger than 720x480?

Thanks much for any help.

Blog Entries

What is the foramt of the original video?

You cannot add detail by rendering to a higher resoloution. In general terms the quality of a video file is more dependant on bit rate than resoloution.

If the max file size is 150mb and the length is an hour then the best you can hope for isnt really going to be that good. This allows a bit rate of about 300kbit / sec.

This is similar to many web streaming videos such as those on you tube. Watchable but not that good.

You will have to considor sacrificing quality or length.... Either that or turn the video into a slide show.

3. Default

Yes to the above! Your only hope since this appears to be going to an inside audience (staff, people you know, etc) is to use one of the high compression formats that may require a download of a special codec or player but can look great at the file size limitation. I am talking about mpeg4, divx, etc. You are also going to HAVE to come down in frame size...even leaving it at 720 is too big for that file size limit. Don't forget that the player can always fill the screen with whatever size the original is.

The original format is wmv in 1280x1024 resolution.

Thanks for the replies. The person that I sorta answer to insists that it is possible, and I told her she was crazy. I have a feeling that we will end up having to finished versions. One real high quality that we just put on a DVD or CD and a lower quality one for the net.

Thanks again

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
    I am talking about mpeg4, divx, etc. You are also going to HAVE to come down in frame size...even leaving it at 720 is too big for that file size limit. Don't forget that the player can always fill the screen with whatever size the original is.
    This comes from my own personal experience rather than a text book, so anyone feel free tp correct me, but reducing the frame rate or the frame size won't reduce the file size. The only way to reduce file size is to decrease the bitrate. Older PDAs and even the 3GP mobile phone format tend to have a frame size limit of upto 15fps as they don't have the processing power to go any higher (I've tried and the video just ends up either not playing or playing choppy).

I think we can assume you source material is High Definition SonnyD43? Your "boss" wants you to take this High Def footage and essentially put about four hours onto one CD (150MB for one hour). Interesting that she believes she can do something that Holywood can't do.

If you kept the framesize as is using around a 300kbs bit rate the quality would be pants. Where did this 150MB file size limit come from?

Well, after we finish a web demo, we like to put it up for people to download and watch if they weren't able to be there at the time. Our tech team told me 150mb is about as big as it should be, otherwise it would take people far to long to download it.

We use Gotomeeting to hold our web demos and it has a recording function build into it. However when you are done with the meeting it converts it to wmv right away. The problem is it converts it to a pretty small size video, but the quality is pretty crappy. Unfortunately there is no way to edit any of the settings for it, so we are stuck with what it gives us. So we decided to start using Camtasia to capture them now. It gives me a much higher quality to work with, and I can go from there. I just need to find a happy balance now.

Oh and also, our head IT guy told me not to use a divx codec. He says that the majority of people that will be downloading and viewing these won't have any divx codecs. Also they may not be able to download it depending on restrictions put on their computers.
    Last edited by SonnyD43; 09-25-2006 at 03:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Odd they insist on 150mb, who is likely to be d loading? I am only a home user and I have 10mbit, even a gig off a decent localish server only takes 15 mins...

WMV is probably the most portable codec I would agree.

If they insist on 150 they will have to agree to lower quality or a shorter video. Thats it.

Thanks for the responses. I figured that would be the case. We will probably end up having 2 versions of it, and just burn one to a DVD.