Thread: Ugrently need advice....please

Default Ugrently need advice....please

Hi people,

I am a newbie to premiere pro and digital video; If I explain my dilema perhaps someone would be kind enough to offer me some advice.

I have shot a sports event of approx 8 hours onto 2 full size DV tapes, this event comprised of about 20 individual competitions. I need to capture into PPro2 each competition and archive each competition to a master DVD so that I end up with a set of master DVD's with each competition being a seperate file so that I can then create compilations of various competitions for people. My dilema is that if I try and do this as an avi file some of the competitions are much larger than others and result in a avi file of over 8GB hence they are too big to archive to a DVD. I need to create this DVD master set of competitions to clear the tapes which will soon be needed again.

What is the usual way to go about this, what format should I be archiving in if not avi, how does everyone else create master backups of their tapes.

One bit of advice I had was to buy more tape and use the tapes as my master, however this is not viable as I have 20 events a year to cover, each event is 3 days and each day uses 2 x 270min tapes... meaning I would need 120 tapes minimum to archive 12months and at a cost of 30-40 per tape this really is not an option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Kev

2. Default

Don't forget one important point. Your time is worth money. Fooling around with this for too long will steal your time and sanity away. I know, I've been there.
    I would look on-line for good deals on hard drives. I just bought a 400 gig for around $125.00 US money. I think it's the only way to go.

Or get a dual layer DVD burner ($80. us) and burn to dual layer DVD which holds abut 8 gig, might just work out.

Thanks Eddie,

Sanity has already gone I think...

It amazes me how much storage is required for video, I knew it was going to be a fair bit, but the avi's just eat storage.... I still remember the days when a 360Kb floppy was considered massive and I used to drool at the prospect of owning a 20Mb hard drive... pondering on how it would be possible to fill that much space... how things change...lol best get me credit card out and start thinking in Terrabytes

Thanks for your help. much appreciated.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
    Don't forget one important point. Your time is worth money. Fooling around with this for too long will steal your time and sanity away. I know, I've been there.
    I would look on-line for good deals on hard drives. I just bought a 400 gig for around $125.00 US money. I think it's the only way to go.

Or get a dual layer DVD burner ($80. us) and burn to dual layer DVD which holds abut 8 gig, might just work out.
    This is a reply I really like. It's a lesson that hard to learn for a alot of people. The time you waste faffing about over a problem is more costly than the obvious purchase you're trying to avoid making.
    We have the same thing at work. We have a diodgy printer on one of our networks. Will they buy a new one? Will they bollox! The fact that over the last six months theoffice has lost a good man month because of it, costing them thousands is neither here nor there. I'm alsio tempoted to repeat my 'floppy disk' story here but I'll reign myself in on that.

I do appreciate the importance of time and the cost of it, however I also appreciate the importance of getting the workflow right from day 1 on a new project, I am a novice when it comes to hadling digital video although I have many years experience handing digital workflows on PC this has taught me that a bit of time invested in getting it right at the onset can save a lot of time and heartache later on... I suppose the question amounts to how much time is right to spend on these sorts of problems, but for me instead of having a social life at the moment I spend all my free time sat in front of the computer on a steep learning curve.

Thanks once again for both your inputs, you have basically confirmed what I suspected would be the case, always helpful to hear it from someone more knowledgeable than myself though...

6. Default

Your point about spending the time at the beginning of the project setting up the proper work flow is spot on. You are doing that the right way.

How long after the finished events are put on the storage media do you need to archve them. A year or many. Good thing about using a hard drive is that it can be used again for a long time. Even though blank DVDs are not expensive they don't last forever and cannot be used again. I would not use re-writable for anything lke this.

BTW, in a related subject but not directly to your project: home burnned CDs and DVDs do not have a very long lifespan as far as keeping important footage for history. I am reading that many experts put a 6 year useable life on a home burnned media. Leaving it on tape and hard drive is still winning in this category. I have found that some of the CDs I burnned years ago (about 6 believe it or not) do not work anymore or are very hard to get working. Anyone else have old CDs not read anymore or act up when doing so?