Thread: Advance Cloning

Default Advance Cloning

Hey does anybody know about how to do a more advance type of cloning where the clones can intereact better, or to each other i just know the basic way of cloning.
    We are ready to shock the world

How exactly do you want your 'clones' to interact?

There was a thread on here about a year ago (I think) when some of us were playing with cloning. I did an example where I passed myself a gun. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

Assuming it is then....

... it's not rocket science. I even posted another video clip showing how it was done. The clip was called 'McGIll's New Gun'. It should be kicking around on the forum servers somewhere along with the 'making of' video. Basically I carefully placed the gun on a table. The second take was me picking the gun up and then the two clips were composited together and I masked out the table to show a background plate shot just before.

The biggest advice I canoffer you on cloning though is get the lighting right. Always best to do ina studio where you are in control of things like that. I did mine outside and you (well I can) see the change in light.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Alan

Cool i'll try that method....but i was also trying to do stuff like have one talking to the other and then maybe have them hit each other

Alan, what is McGill up to these days, it's been so long since I've last heard his name mentioned, I hope he's keeping well? ThunderP87, you'll need to do a more detailed script if dialogue is involved and leave a little gap at the end of each sentence so your 'clone' can answer back or you could try overlapping dialogue in Adobe Premiere by overlapping the two audio tracks at certain points on the timeline. If you have a mate who is the same size or build as yourself you could get him to dress like you and unless he has the same hair colour as yourself you might need a wig. You could set up the scene with you looking at the camera so it establishes in the mind of the audience where you are standing and then cut to your second self coming in and throwing a punch towards your mate who now has his back to the camera and so we can't see his face. He would react to the punch and move his head accordingly and fall backwards and down. Then shoot the same action again, but this time you take the place of your mate and in editing cut from him as his head just starts to turn to your own head, so we cut from your mate to you and we see your face as it turns towards the camera.

Ah ok makes sense i'll keep it in mind thanks for the pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Alan, what is McGill up to these days, it's been so long since I've last heard his name mentioned, I hope he's keeping well?
    Not much I'm afraid. I'm sure you realise that I've not been too active lately. Quite simply I've not done any filming of any real note since CSIB last Christmas. What with a bereavement in the family earlier this year and sis getting diagnosed with some nasty cancer a few months ago I've just had different priorities this year and my camera and sat dormant. Hoepfulyl I;ll ramp back up before Christmas and join the gang again.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderP87 View Post
    Cool i'll try that method....but i was also trying to do stuff like have one talking to the other and then maybe have them hit each other

I think that will be very tough to do. to film the same person doing different halves fo the same fight twice and then compositing them together is not so hard in theory. But I think to get the timing perfect so it look seven close to good will be the hardest thing.

Your best bet might be to use a lookalike standing for a whole bunch to 'sell' the effect and then do cloning for the other half.

If you find a good workflow that give good result then please do post it here as many of us will be interested, especially me.

Alan, sorry to hear about the problems you've been having. I'm sure I speak for everyone on here that your presence was sadly missed. I for one certainly look forward to exchanging posts with you again over the coming months.