Thread: DV VHS Combo

Default DV VHS Combo

I'm looking into miniDV/VHS combo (well I'm trying to, Google isn't being very helpful).

My cam (TRV-14) doesn't have DV-Out, so I'm unable to export my video back to miniDV. Also I've been told it can wear the heads down if you capture using your cam? (I wouldn't mind not having the hassle of getting the cam out all the time! )

I'm defiantly considering purchasing a DVD RW, but I still think I should have a device for transferring edited video back onto miniDV, and onto VHS.

What do you all think? Should I buy one, are they worth it?

I'd also like to ask where to buy on from (UK), and how much a cheap, decent one would cost? I have a low budget you see.. I need it to:

miniDV -> PC (via firewire)
    miniDV -> VHS
    PC -> miniDV (via firewire)
    (maybe PC -> VHS?)

All feedback would be greatly appreciated! Any other tips/info would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advanced,

Dom.

Blog Entries

Do a google search for "MiniDV deck". They aren't cheap and most probably outside of your budget (around the 1k mark). I can't see why exporting to MiniDV would put any more stress on the heads than actually recording live events - and I assume you're not intending to output much more to DV than you have filmed. Infact I'd probably guess about a 4:1 ratio for what you film and what's actually used.

I think it's the fast forward and rewinding that's advised against - but we're talking about professionals here that use their equipment 24/7. For the average user, whith an average cam, I can't see that you'll wear out any part of the cam through excessive use before the technology is superseded and you upgrade anyway.

There are ways of making a DVout only camera accept Dvin signals. Do a google search for "DVin Widget" or "DVin Dongle". Alternatively purchase a cheap second hand DVin cam. All that has to work is the Dvin function! (You might find a cheap one with a defect in other areas?)

Marc

Blog Entries

Can't you just buy a DV-IN enabler for your camera? I think they're about 20-30 UKP.

Oh, didn't know they were that much.. :\ Saw a few on some US sites for around 600$.. Thanks anyway..

Can't you just buy a DV-IN enabler for your camera? I think they're about 20-30 UKP.
    Where would i get one from? Would it cause any damage to the camera?

There are ways of making a DVout only camera accept Dvin signals. Do a google search for "DVin Widget" or "DVin Dongle".
    Again, will it cause any damage the the camera?
    iBook G4 | FCE | vx2100

This place does them. http://www.smartdv.co.uk/index.php

Can't personally vouch for them in any way though. Did a google search and they came up.

If they have one for your camera, it looks like about 34+vat+delivery. Didn't notice the TRV14 mentioned though :(

Chat with them about your particular camera and whether it will harm the camera. Shouldn't though.