Thread: Formatting my PC ... vegas Q

Default Formatting my PC ... vegas Q

hey guys, i have to re install windows this week ( new mainboard on its way )
    but im halfway through a video that im making in vegas.

the probelem is the source files that ive used in my video are in a few different folder, possibly soem on different discs.

im presumign that when i format and reinstall vegas it wont be able to find any of these source videos ?
    or will it?
    what should i do ?

Rick B
    Intel Pentium D @ 4.3Ghz, Asus P5WD2-E Premium, 2Gb Mushkin DDR2, 512MB X1900XT, all watercooled baby !

If you reformat your disk (assuming that all your clips are stored on your C drive) you will loose EVERYTHING!!!, so, before you format transfer all your files onto an external hard drive, when you finaly get up and running again load the veg file and it will come up with a message that the media cannot be found, you then have an option of telling vegas to look on the external hard drive where it will find your files.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

oh yea i know ill loose everything. im well into PC's and understand that.

the .veg is ion my C drive, and i have another 8 partitions for back up etc, but some of my source videos are on my c:m, some on f: etc.
    and after the format, the files will be in differenct drives ( possibly all on the same drive ) and some possibly in unknown places

just need to know if vegas will be abel to search for the right files on its own. instead of me pointign to it.
    i should have thoguth of this before i started, but its the first video ive made.
    Intel Pentium D @ 4.3Ghz, Asus P5WD2-E Premium, 2Gb Mushkin DDR2, 512MB X1900XT, all watercooled baby !

Blog Entries

If it;s anything like other applications, it will "learn" when you have files located in one location. For example if you have all the music on drive x, it will prompt the first time, then remember that you had another file on that drive and look there first. May not however .

it all seems to be okay.
    ive just doen a test by copying random vids to my desktop, savign them in a vegas file, deleting them anfn d then openeign it.

vegas knows the files are missing and searcghes for them . and finds them !!

i just hope it works in ' real life' other wisde im SCREWED !

thanks guys.
    please post if youve had any experience with this btw
    Rick

Blog Entries

If you're worried, why don't you:

a) take a copy of the veg file, close vegas, then move all your files into one location
    b) now open up the bewly created veg file and guide vegas / let it find all the assets
    c) now when you transfer, you'll have al the files in one place.