Thread: Newbie - Need Help with Project

Default Newbie - Need Help with Project

Hello -

I have some experience doing what I would consider to be basic video editing, but I am fairly new to Premiere. I have basically become the family archivist and I have been scanning all of the photos from the old family photo albums for the last year or so. I'd like to be able to create video photo albums to give the family as a way to preserve all of the photos and family memories, and also as a way to present the information in an interesting way. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to create a video photo album similar to the example at the link below? Should this be done in a different program? ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.livinglegacymedia.com/sample/

Blog Entries

As with virtually everything, using the right tools for the job is essential: it saves you time, possibly money and will certainly improve the end result. For photo-montages you can't get better than canopus Imaginate 2.0. You can download a free trial and see for yourself (I know that not everyone takes my word as gospel )

http://www.canopus.com/products/Imaginate/index.php

Blog Entries

Forgot to add that I couldn't veiw the website referenced, so assumed you wanted a photo montage rather than the cheesy effect of opening up a photo album...

Marc is spot on imaginate does an excellent lob of this but is a bit quirky to learn.

Using the motion filter, Premiere will do it but it is a far more manual procedure.

Both the above will export to DV which is easy to convert to dvd.

try photo story 3 from microsoft as well, this will give you an easy to learn interface but the output is .wmv so be sure that your encoder can convert it to DVD or what ever format you want (most will).
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Default Thanks So Much!

Thanks so much for the advice and for pointing me to a new tool I can try. I'll definitely check it out!

I am familiar with creating photo montages with a variety of products. I'm sorry the link didn't work. While I AM looking for a book opening effect, it is the 'cheesy' fake look that I'm specifically trying to avoid! The effect in the sample has a very realistic looking aged book opening, something like what is seen in the opening of the show A Wedding Story, and the photos on the pages are not only photos, but embedded video clips. It's very well done and a wonderful effect.

Thanks so much for the help! I'll keep experimenting!

The Effect you are looking for is called a Page peel or Page turn.The effects in ppro2 offer diagonal effects, but a page turn can be made using a combination of the motion filter and basic 3d.

Place the first clip on a layer above the second and overlap the clips for the duration that you want your effect to last, use the razor tool to split the top video at the same point as the lower video starts so the overlap is a seperate clip, add to this clip the basic 3d filter and keyframe it to swivel from 0 to 90/-90 depending on the direction you want. the clip will swivel about the middle so use the position filter to move it across the screen to keep it looking like it is hinged and then use the distance to image or scale to keep the furthest edge of the clip the right size.

A bit long winded but when you have perfected it you can copy the clip and then paste attributes to your other clips that require a page turn.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Funny eought, Iam a photographer, so I have to do this alot...

Alot of us use Proshow gold, there is a free trial of 30 days

You can see a sample here: http://www.grafixphoto.co.uk/Shiw1.html
    Requires a plug in to run (2.6MB)
    It will give you options on how you wish to present that just about covers everything....
    Need Pro Computer advice?