Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD's

Default DVD's

Ok so now that im successfully burning home movies to dvd, i was wondering if buying cheap DVD-R would effect the quality of the movie?

The reason i ask is that i have seen printable DVD-r for 56p each but didnt want to buy them if they are going to end up making my movies look poor

Thanks

Michael

Blog Entries

They won't degrade the quality of video. Put simply, the data is either read or it isn't. With this in mind, make sure the discs are compatible with both your writer and player - so order a couple and if they work order a whole batch.

I think they may be an issue over the lifetime of very cheap discs (the coating pealing off with age etc), but we're talking about YEARS here.

I'm sure the experts will put me straight

Ok thanks for the reply

Next question!

Anyone know any cheap + reliable places i can order blank dvds on the net?

Ive had a look at www.blankdiscshop.co.uk but am aways a bit weary abouting using sites that i know nothing about!

Thanks

Michael

I'm prettymuch through a batch of these
    http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.htm?quicklinx=32T2 and had no probs with them from my writer and player.

and then i have tub of http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page...G&title=146871 to try.

Both came in at 18 for 25 DVD-Rs. Hopwever, I've just seen that dabs have theirs at a new lower price. 13 for 25.

Both reputable companies I;ve used on a number of occasions and happy to recommend.

Blog Entries

My opinion is that buying online from anywhere is a breeze as long as you don't have to return the product for any reason. I've used bigpockets.co.uk and goods were ordered as described. But I'm not reccomending them as I've heard horror stories about returns.

I just always assume: if it's too good to be true, then it simply isn't true. If the site looks professional, accepts credit card payments and you know a few people that have bought and recieved goods or read independant reviews, make the purchase.

Just prey you don't have to return anything!

svp/121/blankdiscshop are great. good prices, great service and free mini eggs if you ordered over easter.

ukdvdr are excellent too, but i really don't like bigpockets.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlipring
    svp/121/blankdiscshop are great. good prices, great service and free mini eggs if you ordered over easter.

ukdvdr are excellent too, but i really don't like bigpockets.
    Thanks guys, looks like im off to spend yet more money! the girlfriend will be pleased!!!!

AVOID BIGPOCKETS AT ALL COSTS!!!!!
    I made the mistake of ordering some blank cds and a dvd player from them - although it said the items were in stock, after a MONTH no order had arrived. Despite repeated emails (with no response) asking what was going on, I eventually tried to cancel the order and after another month received an email confirming cancellation - when I got the statement of course these CROOKS still haven't refunded me. I'm currently in the process of trying to recover the money via the credit card company, who say they have had similar complaints from other people - AVOID THESE FRAUDSTERS - BUYER BEWARE

And while i'm at it: I should have stuck with svp, (www.121cdr.co.uk)never had a problem with them, fast and friendly service. For the sake of trying to save a fiver on a dvd player worth 50 I'm stuck in a nightmare battle with these bigpocket chancers.

I use SVP too (they have a number of domains pointing to their real address). Always been a good company to deal with.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast