Thread: Help with dark videos

Default Help with dark videos

For my sons birthday during the cake cutting all the lights were turned off but the camera man forgot to change to the night shots, so now we can just see some dark shadows and hear the sounds vividly.Question is can I convert the videos somehow with sw(maybe convert them into night shot or something) so that I can see the pictures clearly.
    TIA
    Nonny

To be honest the footage is probably no good, but if you have a multi layer editor try this.

open the clip in the timeline and trim it to start and finish where you want. Then copy it and paste it in to the layer above directly over the original so they are in sync. Lower the opacity of the top layer to about 25% and add a blur effect of 3ish.

Then select the bottom clip and change its brightness and contrast, this will shine through the clip above, keep playing with the settings and it might give you some thing but it will be ugly.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

I use Pinnacle studio version 9. Does that support layers?? Can u tell me a sw that does support layers
    TIA
    nonny

premiere pro/elements, Serif movie plus 5 and many more
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

If you have pinncle 9 plus it would have the ability to try Miwhel's workaround. In other words if your pinnacle allows you to do picture in a picture.

good luck!

Blog Entries

Good suggestion but i doubt it will look any good at the end. The information may just not be there.

Yep. I agree. hardly likely to look great. However, it is quite likely to look 'better' so worth a try.

It's a lot easier to bring detail out of an under-exposed image (i.e. dark) than it is out of an over-exposed one. the probnlem is that adjusting brightness and contrast will add a lot of grain/noise to the image. The double layer idea above should def be tried because it will attempt to mask some of the noise.

Try increasing brightness and playing with the constrast and you'll see what I mean.