Thread: Help on some basic Premiere issues

Default Help on some basic Premiere issues

Hello! Can anyone please help me about some basic issues on Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5?

Capturing
    I have a digital video camera (a JVC Everio 30 GB Hard Disk Camera). Does this camera's files still needs to be captured by Premiere? It's file type is Hard Disk Camera Movie. Adobe Premiere doesn't support this file so I downloaded a small program called Super wherein the files from the dv camera can be converted to mpeg. Due to this conversion, the quality of the video suffers. Is there a way that I can edit the clips from the dv camera without losing much quality?

Format
    What format do I need to use so that my work can playback on a simple vcd player with a normal apect ratio (4:3)? How will I save my work for a vcd playback mode? I tried exporting a work to dvd, does it really take that long to save a work? I made a 30 minute video and it took 6 hours to export it as an mpeg file. Please, can anyone enlighten me about this issue? I know that I'm missing something here.

Sequence
    Is it advisable to divide the whole project into small sequences even if the video is only 30 minutes? Will dividing the whole project make it quicker to export?

By the way, my computer's specs: Pentium 4 3.01 GHz, 1 GB Memory, 256mb Video Card, 80 GB Hard Disk, OS: Windows XP SP1

If my questions have been answered already on other forums, please just give me a link so that I won't take much of your time. Thank you very much!

That model of camcorder records in mpeg format and not DV. You need to convert from the mpeg file (stored on the camcorders harddisk) to avi in order for Adobe to be able to use it. I think it's just a matter of transferring the files from the camcorder to a folder on your computer harddisk.

Thank you for the reply. I've got a small program called Super developed by eRightSoft. It can convert the file from the DV Cam to .avi but when I import it Adobe says "file format not supported". The only file it accepts is Mpeg II but the quality of the video lacks quality. Can you give some advice on how to convert it to .avi? The program Super might not just be appropriate for Adobe.

Thanks again!!!

I posted a guide on SOFTWARE PROBLEMS AND BUYING ADVICE -> Submit Your Own Guides and Reviews, about converting from mpeg to avi. Look for it on this forum and see if it helps (you may need to go back through a few pages to locate it), if it doesn't help, post the results you get and I may have another method.