Thread: Need help in buying a PC or Mac for professional editing

Default Need help in buying a PC or Mac for professional editing

Need help in buying a PC or Mac for professional editing

Hi there

I am fairly new into editing and very much enjoy it, I have recently filmed my friends wedding with Sony FX1E HDV camera. Now I am looking to by a PC or a Mac, with a budget of 2200. I would like to make a professional DVD with the footage I have taken. My knowledge with software is okay, am well versed with Adobe Premiere pro but when comes to the Hardware side of things I don’t have that much knowledge.

Please advice me on what to look for when I am buying a PC or a Mac for editing with a budget 2200.

Currently I use

Hi-Grade Ultis PV4 Pentium 4 2.4GHz
    1GB RAM
    120G HD
    Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti
    Sound Card – Sound Blaster Audigy 4
    NEC DVD RW-+
    Pioneer DVD RW –
    Floppy disk drive
    56k PCI Modem
    1x Ethernet Connection
    8x USB Ports
    2x IEEE 1394 FireWire ports

And a Video Capture card, Pinnacle - Studio Deluxe Version 8

I want to upgrade to another computer, where the rendering time is much faster and doesn’t drop frames when capturing via firewire .( my current setup takes 8 hours to render a 10 minute edited video clip)

I have read that it good to invest on a video capture card as it is better then a stand alone firewire card, is this true? I have been looking at Canopus Edius product, is it wise to invest in buying this card?

Please Help

Many thanks
    Last edited by one2watch; 09-13-2006 at 06:13 PM.

Blog Entries

You dont need a capture card, that is for analogue to digital conversion, if you wanted to capture 'old' footage from vhs for example.

As for the PC, 2,200 will get what you need and then some. I strongly suggest core duo processor as these are currently the fastest on the street, some 30% or more faster than AMD dual core.

Get 2 hard drives with the second for video only and make it as huge as you can afford, or spec a few. Get a mb with lots of sata ports two so you can add more drives if needed.

Mark Duo's are not 30% faster than X2's.

Upgrades

Hi-Grade Ultis PV4 Pentium 4 2.4GHz - get rid of it, dual core intel or AMD if you want something cheaper
    1GB RAM - You will need new ram DONT use this in the new system, you will need two gigs atleast.
    120G HD - Get a set of SATA drives and read up on RAID 0 Drive set ups buy two sets and one for the OS ( dont need to be big) then two for RAW video and a set for the editing.

Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti - Anything is better that that old thing.
    Sound Card Sound Blaster Audigy 4 - Put it into your new computer
    NEC DVD RW-+ Put it into your new PC
    Pioneer DVD RW - Put it into your new PC

Floppy disk drive -Put it into your new PC, Most people dont use then, you need it for the SATA install, most people like the combo media reader/floppy drive.

56k PCI Modem - I guess you have broad band? or do you send faxes from your PC?

1x Ethernet Connection
    8x USB Ports
    2x IEEE 1394 FireWire ports - Check the motherboards for Firewire ports as you will need them.

There are quite a few posts on here regarding PC upgrades, take a look at what on those posts.
    Need Pro Computer advice?

Blog Entries

Yes they are.

'The Core 2 Duo E6700 tested here simply swept through the benchmarks.' (compared to fx62)

Ref: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...=expert&pid=13

I am not in the habit of ascribing fact to opinion. The exact figure is an often quoted advatange that I took from another article. The exact advantage is open to interpretation i agree but it is a fact that they are sustantially faster. To deny this flatly may be misleading by implying the core duo is not the fastest chip widely avaialble.

imho.
    Last edited by Mark W; 10-12-2006 at 08:49 AM.

you have linked to the power comsumption, You have pointed put the fact the Intel uses more power than most chips but draws less when its under a load.

If you do have a good look around on the internet at all the bench tests, esp user who have submitted results, you will find that there is on average a 4 second performance gain.

I dont see how this can equate to 30%

Yeah the Intel is better and cost twice as much in most cases, is it worth it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GTWCMT View Post
    Floppy disk drive -Put it into your new PC, Most people dont use then, you need it for the SATA install, most people like the combo media reader/floppy drive.
    I haven't bothered with a floppy drive for the last 3 of my personal PCs. You can slipstream the SATA drivers onto a Windows XP copy and the drives will be picked up on initial load (no more pressing the function key to install). Infact with 1GB memory sticks so cheap, there really isn't any need whatsoever for a floppy drive!

Blog Entries

I'll try and answer this from an editing rather than a purely hardware pespective:

HDV

When initially made universally popular (i.e us consumers were told we were ready for it), the benchmark CPU minimum for High Def content was a P4 3.0 with hyper-threading. Pretty much any dual core processor will perform admirably in crunching out high def, and I would suggest you go for a processor twoards the high end. Note that typically the fastest processor is 2 x the cost of those a few notches down in the range. Given that you'll only really see the benefit for encoding speeds, you'll pay a premium for the extra few seconds in every 3 minutes of video.

However, what youi'll need to edit HDV effectively is a plugin for Adobe Premiere. This will set you back about the price difference between that high end all dancing processor and the slower cheaper one. I know what I'd prefer!

The Graphics Card

As it stands, not many editing applicartions take advantage of the GPU and buying a top end card will almost certainly be overkill. However, if you invest in something like magic bullets, a high end graphics card will speed up rendering times. Otherwise, it's only good for games.

DVDs

To make a professional DVD you will need dedicated software. I recommend you put aside some of your budget for Encore for example.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GTWCMT View Post
    you have linked to the power comsumption, You have pointed put the fact the Intel uses more power than most chips but draws less when its under a load.

If you do have a good look around on the internet at all the bench tests, esp user who have submitted results, you will find that there is on average a 4 second performance gain.

I dont see how this can equate to 30%

Yeah the Intel is better and cost twice as much in most cases, is it worth it?
    I linked to the conclusion page that states 'The Core 2 Duo E6700 tested here simply swept through the benchmarks, leaving everything in its wake'

I am sure any high end dual core chip will form the basis of a killer editing system but at the mooment if you want the best, it is clearly dual core from intel, for now - I cant wait for the announced quad core to hit the streets... crikey if all goes to plan I might even have the cash to get one... fingers crossed.

You know your are right, anything under the 6600 is slower than a AMD X2, and everything above is faster.
    Intel have been trying to build a dual core processor for over 5 years, it was the GPU comanies that lead the way and then to the dual core - issue was with the intel chips over heating.
    The issue now is that they cannot do anything more with silicon so they have been looking at alternatives, like Nanites, Carbon tubes and organics to build the next gen processor.
    Quad cores just mean that you'll have to shell out on a new motherboard..

I dont know if you know but DDR4 should be comming out soon, this is the AMD's next step, They were talking to me about it sometime ago, as they planed to skip DDR2 all together. ( I think they didnt go that way as sales would be hit becuase no one would want to pay for the memory!)

with the way things are going we should see some 5Ghz intels on the market pretty soon - Start saving now for then. when you at it what about a nice blue ray, they should be a bit cheaper than the current 400 Price tag they are now.

Blog Entries

Yes I knew I was right all along, glad you have noticed at last....

You totally crack me up " this is the AMD's next step, They were talking to me about it sometime ago, " (sic)

You mean one you read it on thier web site I presume, or do they leak all thier news to you first...