Thread: Premiere Pro 1.5 capture woes - please help!

Default Premiere Pro 1.5 capture woes - please help!

Hi people - hope someone can help.

Having a weird experience with premiere pro. When I first installed the program I had no issues at all but suddenly its acting weird.

When I try to capture from Canon XM2 via firewire (PAL) - The capture randomly - usually between 5 - 25 secs footage - interrupts with an unkown capture error record message - basically I can capture a dv tape but it takes ages and an hours tape can be made up of 100's of short 10 second clips (hard to edit with) .

I didnt know whether the problem was with premiere pro or with my camera/dv tapes. If I simply play the camera though the capture window it plays my dv tape no problem - as soon as i hit record then it keeps stopping.

Now I tried capturing in windows movie player - it worked fine - I captured the avs then tried to import them into premiere - then something even weirder happened. The file imported fine - but it was wrong. I imported a 30 minute piece of footage - about 6 gigs worth. Premiere pro aknowledged it was 6 gig etc but when I looked at the length there was only about 2 minutes of footage - the rest wasnt visible.

So whats going on?

I uninstalled Premiere and reinstalled but its still doing it.

The only major change thats happened since I installed premiere pro is i changed from onboard sound to a soundcard. This is installed correctly though and I performed by premiere re-install afterwards.

any suggestions would be mucho help - I basically have a 500 quid package I cant edit in!

spose Ive got Windows Movie maker!

I need to get my head around this capture randomly you mention, are you somehow starting and stopping the capture or could you explain what it is. Usually the entire footage you recorded out on location or indoors is transferred and the bits you don't want are then edited out on the timeline, you then save this new version as a project file. The original footage is still there so you can go back and access it at a later stage if you change your mind. What is the spec of your computer, and have you changed any of the capture settings say to a specific time limit?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    I need to get my head around this capture randomly you mention, are you somehow starting and stopping the capture or could you explain what it is. Usually the entire footage you recorded out on location or indoors is transferred and the bits you don't want are then edited out on the timeline, you then save this new version as a project file. The original footage is still there so you can go back and access it at a later stage if you change your mind. What is the spec of your computer, and have you changed any of the capture settings say to a specific time limit?

well what i do is i capture the whole dv tape via firewire into premiere pro - i then edit it down after as you say

the problem that is happening is the capture process keeps stopping - sometime sit stops every few seconds or sometimes it may give me up to a minute or more- this becomes very annoying as im left with 100's of short clips

ive checked the settings and it all seems fine - i havnt changed anything

I had this problem with my little canon mvx250 and still have the problem in ppro 2 aswell. The only suggestion I can give is to go in to the device control options in the capture window settings tab and choose a different device. In ppro 2 the XM-2 is an option but I don't remember about 1.5. If this doesn't work then try all the others until you find 1 that works. It may pay you to search the canon and adobe websites for mention of this problem.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

interesting - thanks

i have it set to canon xm2 but maybe this is bugged - i will change it

i managed to do some editign at last but i had to capture via my gfs pc and then send the avs over and import em in - a long winded annoyign process but least i can still edit with my version of pp1.5

will try capturing to different devices - its definately something wrong with the software - a clash of some sort that even a reinstall wont fix - im gonna do a complete OS re-install when vistas comes out - maybe this will solve it too...