Thread: DivX Stage6 Website

Default DivX Stage6 Website

I recently learned that DivX has now setup a website where people can upload and view DivX formatted videos. Yesterday I created a personal "channel" and uploaded two new scenes from the "Puss N Boots - NOT!" movie to test their system.

http://stage6.divx.com/Puss_N_Boots_NOT

What I find very interesting, and what I want to pass on to fellow video editing junkies, is that the Stage6 site has a file size upload limit of 2GB. Yes, 2 gigs. They also have a program for people who want to set up a pay-per-view/download movie channel, should you choose to go that route. Their payment plan formula seems very fair and reasonable.

It will be interesting to monitor this business model and see if it takes off. Although short and creative videos are a hot commodity on the Internet, it is yet to be seen if people will really pay to watch longer and full length movies on their computer, or their iPods, for that matter.

An advantage that the DivX folks have is that their pay-per-view/download allows users to download a copy of the file and play it on their DivX certified DVD player and watch the movie on a home theater screen.

Personally, I like DivX as an Internet medium for terminal or laptop viewing of videos, but I'm not sold on it's quality for DVD watching at home on a big screen. At least, not yet.

Blog Entries

Sounds intersting but I fear it will be full of jakass wannabe numptys expecting people to pay for their rubbish.

I hope the non pro area of filmamking does not get into pay to view, the joy of filmamknig for me is sharing what I have made with others for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Sounds intersting but I fear it will be full of jakass wannabe numptys expecting people to pay for their rubbish.

I hope the non pro area of filmamking does not get into pay to view, the joy of filmamknig for me is sharing what I have made with others for free.
    I hear you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    I'm not sold on it's quality for DVD watching at home on a big screen.
    You will. High Definition will use MPEG4* compression on HD Discs*

* Well, a form of MPEG4
    * Whatever they decide that will be!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    You will. High Definition will use MPEG4* compression on HD Discs*

* Well, a form of MPEG4
    * Whatever they decide that will be!
    I can't wait to see that. I'm also wishing I could afford a HD camera. I thought I had made such a quantum leap when I bought my DVX100...now I'm starting to get glances of HD here and there and getting very depressed! - smile