Thread: Corrupt Video Capture Issues

Default Corrupt Video Capture Issues

First my specs:

Athlon64 3500
    512 ram
    fx5200 gfx card
    camera: Canon Elura 100

I have used both windows movie maker and ulead videostudio 8 to capture video (as dv) and the video that is captured is always corrupt no matter which part of the dv tape i capture.

In windows movie maker it does save the file but then when it trys to import it it says that the file is corrupt and cannot be imported and then windows explorer crashes. In ulead videostudio when i try to capture the video i press start capture and then stop but when i stop capture the program says "Capturing failed. File created is corrupt and unusable. File will be automatically deleted"

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks

How do you connect the camera to the computer? Are you using Firewire or USB? It should be Firewire as this is the only connection a MiniDV cam uses. I'm not familiar with the Canon Elura 100, are you in the States? When you say the file is always corrupt, what exactly do you mean by that? Is the file impossible to play, can you play it but the picture is broken up with squares or rectangles appearing on it? Have you DeFragmented your hard disk recently and have you the latest version of DirectX, version 9.0c or it might be 9.0d now, check to see.

Firewire connection. Im in New Zealand. When i say corrupt i mean the outputted file makes windows explorer sayings something about a data execution error or when i press "stop capture" in WMM it says the file created is corrupt and must be deleted.

and yes i do have the latest version on directx

Are you using Windows XP with Service Pack2 and is it Windows Movie Maker V2.1.4026.0? It could be the codec that your camera uses when creating the video files and this one is either not on your computer or not installed in WMM.

yup im on service pack 2 and wmm version 5.1 build 2600. But i dont think its a problem with wmm cause the exact same problem occurs both in Ulead videostudio 8 and WinDV.

I want to find another computer to test the cable and the computer on so i can rule out any issue with them before i uninstall my codecs

top top help

Yes, try changing the cable as I've read a few posts on this forum where users have tried a new cable and that solves the problem. Using another computer is also a good idea as you can see if the problem is repeated on that one. I really think it is a CoDec problem, if you could find out a bit more information about the format of the video your camcorder uses it would help. But more than likely it will just say it is an avi file, with no details as to the name of the particular CoDec it uses (Microsoft DV-AVI) is the one I'm using and seems to be very popular. It had an earlier version called Microsoft AVI but didn't work that well on my computer.