Thread: What cam to get with DV in

Default What cam to get with DV in

i just lost my sony pc 101e which had excellent features loads of them
    Now am looking to get another preferebly a sony as they have good night shot
    But i definalty want 1 with DV IN like the PC101e
    Any 1 kow if theres an equivelent to the old dcrpc 101e
    I cant find any with most of the features that my old 1 had :(
    At the moment i have the sr90 but am not realy happy with the lack of features
    on it. It might b a better image but still no DV in :(
    Any advise would be thnkfull cheeres guys.. lusa.

How much of a budget have you got? And why is having DV-in so important? I think most users (but not all) have the following set up... camcorder to computer and then burn out to DVD. It's much easier to give out copies using this setup but you may have something else in mind.

The budget is around 700 to 800 , i wanted a dv in as i was using it for 2 things .
    1. was to record pay to view events. mostly music videos that have macrovision on them. i have a dvd recorder and it wont record macrovision.
    so i'd record on to the cam then record back from cam to dvd recorder/player.

2 i have a wirless mini cam that i attach to my RC helicopter and that and the receiver run off 9v batteries. so instead of outputting it to the tv its outputted to the CAM (DV/IN) hence mobile. thats the main 2 reasons realy. not for editing thnx for response..

Two very interesting reasons indeed! Certainly go for a Mini DV cam as they still give the best image quality, Sony, JVC and Panasonic have some good models out at the moment, if you are only using a camera for the reasons stated then some features could be sacrificed but video recording and then editing can become very addictive in a short period of time, so keep that in mind. You may be able to get one of the Panasonic 3CCD cams, these cams have noticable picture improvement over 1CCD cams but it also depends on the quality of the optics and size of the CCD's, the prices keep coming down all the time, look at the big name retailers and see what discounts they are doing at the moment. At the other end of the scale there is always ebay if you feel confident about bidding for items on there. Unless you have a TV with progressive scan (correct me if I'm wrong) then you will record scan lines from the TV onto the camera tape. Generally speaking it is a large black band that moves down the screen, so keep that in mind too.

Thnx for your help but with my old pc101e i was able to record from cable which had macrovision on the broadcasts. This worked a treat, the pioneer player/recorder i have says CANT RECORD COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL :(
    The cam i have at the moment is a DCR SR90E and i cant really tell the difference in the picture quality but then i havnt really took a lot. If you can tell me that the cam i have now is a lot better quality then that would make me a little happier .

The sr90 has a 3 meg camera but its usless in the dark unlike my fuji 5500 that has the ir light to get the distance. anyhoo ta for your help i will take everything in and sort something out :_)

Blog Entries

Interesting dilemma. I've just broken the lens my pc330e which also has analogue and DV in which i frequently found useful for recording stuff. My insurance replacement (the 1000 ish HDV Sony) doesn't even have the same facilty. In fact, much to my annoyance, it apparently doesn't even have an external mic in. Fortunatley, I'm getting my old one back, so I'm alright Jack. Anyway, getting back to your problem, there are very few cameras that have the analogue inputs enabled, but alot more with DV in. Do some searching in your local second-hand dealers too, its surprising what you can find.