Thread: .mov editting questions

Question .mov editting questions

Hello everybody,
    I have a couple of .mov files which a have to add some subtitles to. Until now Iīve been converting them to .avi files, adding the subtitles with Pinnacle Studio and them converting them back to .mov . thre are two main problems with this method.
    First I waste a lot of time coverting the files back and forth (Not to mention that it takes forever to add the subtitles with the Pinnacle software). Second not only the the resulting .avi file is about 10 times larger (in mamory space) than the original .mov, but the final .mov is about 5 times larger aswell.
    My questions are the following:
    a) Can I skip the corvertion part and add subtitles to the .mov files directly, if so with which software?
    b) If not, what compressor would you recomend, to keep the same image quality that I have in the .mov files without ingreasing the file size so much?

Some extra info: Right nox Iīm using the apple cinepack compressor and the original .mov files are of 1024x768 of res.

I hope a havenīt bored you to death with all of this...
    thanks , Matias .

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

What you need to look at is adding a text track. Apple's tutorial for this is here.

Be sure to look at the link to the descriptors as well.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

I just found an easier way. Prepare your text in notepad (each line will be treated as a paragraph by Quicktime), then select all and then copy. Next, open your move in Quicktime and click on 'edit' , then 'add scaled'. Now your text, paragraph by paragraph is added to the bottom of the video window as a slide show, time scaled evenly for the duration of your video.

You can export the text track now and edit further then repeat the process as per the tutorial.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70