Thread: Rode mic - user opinion.

Blog Entries

Default Rode mic - user opinion.

People often buy this mic as a good value directional mic. I purchased one a few months back so I can get decent sound off my tiny cam and thought I would venture an opinion.

Sound quality - good, suprisingly good. Dont get me wrong, not spine chillingly good like my 800 quid when new sony (200 to me on e bay) but impressive at the price.

Directionality - very good, as good as my longer sony, well seems that way in use.

Thats the best bits over,

Build quality - acceptable to poor. The bits that havent broken are hard plastic, but the shoe broke off after a few weeks (easily glued) and the rubber bands are all perishing fast.

Ahh, the rubber bands, well you see it come equipped with a toy version of the isolation system used on proper isoltion mounts. Looks pants, does absoloutely nothing except mean that the mic wobbles about is a daft way. Soon to be removed.

Microphonic - very, but hey it's cheap so that is okay and you dont really touch a mic like this during use.

I strongly reccomend all mic purchasers in this market to save up a few more quid and get the sen 300, and they didnt pay me to say that.

Blog Entries

Well, I'm surprised (and perversely glad) to hear that review. I'd be well miffed to find out I'd spent a sack-full of dosh on a Sennheiser, only to find that the Aussies did the same thing for half the price.

Blog Entries

I've been reasonably impressed with mine - with the rider that it's about price. I haven't managed to break the shoe, but I think you're quite correct to advise saving a bit harder to buy better. Having said all that, if you're skint (like me) and are used to compromise, it'll do nicely. The sound, after all is not bad at all, and that's what a mic is all about.

Blog Entries

Yes, I got it on a skint month and it works fine for me. I will be happier with it when I get the glue gun out and remove the silly suspension arrangement.

As you say, for the money it is excellent and poops on any built in cam mic, just annoys me that it appears that the marketing men had too much input in the design... 'oooo I know lets put on a wobbly isolation rubber bandy thingy'.