Thread: Premiere Pro 7 Help Plz

Exclamation Premiere Pro 7 Help Plz

Hi guys im new to this forum...hope this post has been stuck on the right page if not i apologise...i have 1 issue i need urgent help on... im a keen editor and im learning adobe premiere pro but have come across a few probs some ive sorted out..but this the main issue bugging me...

1) whilst editing in premiere pro and adding effects or colour correcting the playback on the montiors is very sluggish/slow its really annoying and at times doesnt play at all....i'm not sure if its my comps specs or if im lacking in a department...if i need to invest...what would i require or if its just a simple case in adjusting settings...please provide full details.....

many thanks in advance

my computer specs:

Pentium [R] 4 CPU 2.80GHz 1.00GB RAM WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL PACK 2
    80GB HARD DRIVE + 250GB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE, PCI FIRECARD/WIRE
    Last edited by sol2dude; 09-01-2006 at 05:13 PM.

First thing that springs to mind is: are your clips on the external drive? Adobe doesn't support this. You can check this forum's FAQ on:

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/guide-v...rddrive-15.htm

i captured the footage onto my internal drive which holds 80gbs...due to having large amounts of footage to capture i then transferred the footage onto my external hard drive from where i am working on...but it all works fine when no effects or color correction effects added, i can cut clips add a cross dissolve and its fine its only when the above effects added does premiere start acting sluggish n slow, the quality drops overall when i view it on the monitor...

A part of the movie is captured onto my internal drive about an hours worth and premiere still acts up when i add colour correction effects...

can it be my external drive, or do i require more ram or do i need to invest in a matrox card (which i cant really afford)

thanks
    Last edited by sol2dude; 09-01-2006 at 08:24 PM.

What are your PC specs? The boffins say that using a drive that’s more than 75% to 80% full results in a measurable slowdown. The last thing you need with editing is anything that lowers speed. This is why editing to an external disc was never recommended with Premiere, but I was wrong - things have changed [see below].

How full is your internal disc? 80Gb isn’t very much these days. Defragging can sometimes solve sluggish playback.

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322683.html

[Copied from the above link:]

“If you use external drives, make sure that the cables can handle the drives' data rates and rotational speeds. Adobe recommends that you use large capacity UDMA 133 IDE/SATA or SCSI drives dedicated to video only. If you use an IDE disk drive for capturing video, see the next task in this document, "Optimize IDE disks." Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 doesn't support multiple devices on a FireWire chain or multiple devices on a FireWire card.”

my computer specs:

Pentium [R] 4 CPU 2.80GHz 1.00GB RAM WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL PACK 2
    80GB internal HARD DRIVE + 250GB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE, PCI FIRECARD/WIRE

the internal drive is half full of other work but ive managed to dedicate bout 35gbs of internal space towards premiere...is this still not enough or will defraggin solve my problem

thanks

The spec on the computer is good enough for what you need but check the spin rate on the external drive. I have a Lacie 250gig HD and do all my editing etc on this and it works fine. Defrag after every major project.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony A View Post
    First thing that springs to mind is: are your clips on the external drive? Adobe doesn't support this. You can check this forum's FAQ on:

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/guide-v...rddrive-15.htm
    I dont understand why people keep saying Adobe does not support external drives!? I always use an external drive for storage and editing and never have a problem.

Mark
    www.onlinevideosolutions.co.uk
    enquiries@onlinevideosolutions.co.uk

Simple enough, really. That was always the case until quite recently. The post after that does refer to my slip-up (the quote from Adobe forums).

my external hard drive runs at 7200 rpm...do u think a matrox card will improve the sluggish play...cause i have read somewhere a matrox card speeds up alot of procedures...

you can store projects and video and even work off an external but where the problem lies is when capturing directly onto it rather than internal....
    Last edited by sol2dude; 09-13-2006 at 09:28 PM.

I wouldn’t know if a Matrox graphics card would help. If you mean something like the rt.X100 capture card, I’d say no, they are fussy beasts, and your motherboard + chipset may not be one that Matrox approve of. You could check your kit here:

http://www.matrox.com/video/support/...ec/mb/home.cfm

What about the scratch disc settings in ‘preferences’? I usually specify ‘same as project’ for simplicity, but you could put project files on your internal disc while editing on the other one.

Adding another 1Gb memory is a good step, and prices are good right now.