Thread: Whoe the hell are you ?

Blog Entries

Default Whoe the hell are you ?

This is my "official" entry to the competition.

It's exactly 10,000 frames long and every frame was shot (or created) by me. It was shot with a Sony DCR-PC106E, the cheapest palmcorder in the range and that's all. No professional lighting, sound gear or other equipment. The only help I got was from friends who performed in front of the camera.
    All lighting was from domestic lamps and I didn't even use a tripod but tables, chairs or anything else I could find.

I'm not saying this to get sympathy votes but because this project was (for me) about proving to myself that a watchable video can be done without top equipment or facilities.

The final scene was shot last night and edited until 3am.

I know that there are lots of holes, gaffs and glitches but that's what amateur videomaking's all about, so... enjoy!

PS the "Whoe" in this thread's title title is a mistake....

Warsop, Nottinghamshire.
    Blog Entries

At the risk of us starting to sound like a mutual admiration society...

That is bloody fantastic. Knocks everything else into a cocked hat. Brilliant - just brilliant. Can't even start to list the things I love about it. But for the editing alone it deserves to win, never mind everything (and I mean everything) else.

Bugger. Looks like I lost!

Brilliant stuff all right, very glossy, fine technique and way above my league. In a spirit of constructive criticism, though, I think it lost its way. It seems to begin as one thing, then end as something else. If thereís a contiguous theme throughout, it went past me. Must be my age.

But for style, itís in a field of its own, it stands out a mile and I lower my head!

Blog Entries

Aw shucks... Thanks guys.

I, of course, see loads of fault with it. Tony's right, the thread isn't easy to follow. I didn't want to make it too obvious since I wanted people to view it a couple or more times to get the full story. Obviously there's a tightrope between making it difficult and making it impossible and I may well have gone a bit too far towards obscure.

Warning: Spoiler...
    You should have understood that it's about the interrogation of a church activist who spread anthrax spores in various cities, blaming Muslims and creating fear of an Islamic jihad before asking the question "Who the hell am I to take the lives of others?" and giving himself up to the police.

I finished it at 3am and, looking at it again in the harsh light of day, I'm not too happy about the sound/music levels, one important "voice-over" is almost impossible to hear but we've reached the closing day and I haven't got time to correct it. (My own fault for leaving it to the last minute). There are also a couple of cuts which I would like to reconsider since I'm not too sure that the fact that the "Priest" is being interrogated by a policeman comes over.

There are a few excuses I could offer up but, at the end of the day, it's my fault for leaving everything 'till the last few hours.

Edit: In my not-so-humble opinion it's not "way above" your league Tony or Andy, I hope that it's on the same level as "Killer Queen" and "This is who I am" from Tony (but I'm far from sure that it is, it depends what the judges are looking for) . The judges could go either way and I bet I'm more worried about your entries than you should be about mine.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 08-31-2006 at 02:58 PM.

Wow, damn and blast!

This is both inspirational and terrifying in equal measure! Inspirational in that so very much can be achieved with limited equipment; terrifying in that there is such a vast chasm between what I know and what I need to learn to come anywhere near producing something of this quality!

I'm astounded by the quality of this film.

Wow, damn and blast!

I'm astounded by the quality of this film. It is terrifying and inspirational in equal measure. I have so, so much to learn; but I guess I'm in the right place to do so!

Very well done, sir.

(Oops, my first reply did go through then!!)

That's a very fine piece of work. Above all, it demonstrates for once and for all that the equipment doesn't make or mar the film - it's creativity and ability that does it in the end!
    I try to make someone happy every day - but it may not be your turn today . . .