Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MY Website and Demo Reel

Default MY Website and Demo Reel

Hi all,

not sure if im posting correctly, you guys seem to be strict on rules here but anyway.

My CG Demo reel is at http://demo.firesuite.com
    my website is at www.firesuite.com

the demo reel was edited in premiere pro so im hoping thats enough to keep the post on this site

Hope you like

2. Default

188mb??? are you kidding me?

Quote Originally Posted by komatoast View Post
    188mb??? are you kidding me?
    Whats wrong with that? Its a demoreel i dont want to compromise quality for compression. You link yourself to a video production/site and you are a senior member on this site so you of all people should understand that. Besides if you look there are 3 versions and the smallest one is 57mb, Ive had no complaints from anyone since i posted it in June and have gone over my 40gb/month bandwidth limit more than once so im not quite sure how to take your comment.

Blog Entries

" you guys seem to be strict on rules here but anyway. "

I suppose on of our rules would be something like...

- Expect criticism -

and another might be...

- No queeny strops -

As for the s reel files, well as Koma says they are big and they dont stream. It really is no good having a demo reel if you make it difficult for people to see. I would arrange for a streaming version so people can click and watch.

My s reel is only up as a wmv streaming version and it does the job, I really dont think anyone will be put off by a tad of compression and you can always keep the big file there too.

>you guys seem to be strict on rules here but anyway. "

Misunderstanding. I was merely implying i didnt know if what i was posting was appropriate for this forum

>I suppose on of our rules would be something like...

>- Expect criticism -

Of course, thats the whole reason i post my demo to gain peoples opinion.

>and another might be...

>- No queeny strops -

Not at all, i was explaining that in the 3 months ive been promoting my work thats this is the first time this has come up. I know the UK has a pretty good broadband infrastructure now( i lived there for 30 years) and people that work in video editing work with large files so this should be nothing new to them, I dont feel that 57mb is that big these days.The other guys comment would appear to be more of a queeny strop than what i was saying as its clear that the 188mb file isnt the only one on there.

>As for the s reel files, well as Koma says they are big and they dont stream.

to be fair all he said was "188mb??? are you kidding me?" hardly a constructive criticism or a comment on streaming video.

>It really is no good having a demo reel if you make it difficult for people to see. I would arrange for a streaming version so people can click and watch.

As i said, this is the first time this has come up. this file has taken roughly 90gb of my servers bandwidth over the last 3 months, i really dont think that it has been difficult for people to see. It also depends on what browser/media player you use, If i go on there with IE and click on a link it opens up media player and plays the movie that way. Downloading it is not the only option..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Firesuite View Post
    you guys seem to be strict on rules here but anyway.
    It's interesting you say that. It's part of the site's ethos that we don't rely heavily on rules, just peoples' honesty. In fact there's really only two rules:

1) You're welcome to post a link to a video editing related site as long as you mention your connection. Saying you 'stumbled accross a site' is just plain silly when we welcome people promoting their own site in 'Pimp the Link'.

2) Don't ask for cracked software, serials or other naughty things.

Ahem, yes, straying off topid a tad!

Hi just want to add my 2 pennys worth.

I would agree with komo that 188mb is a bit large and even 57mb is also a bit on the large side. I have a connection to internet thats called T 16000, i am no expert on the speeds but i know this is the fastest connection that is available in germany at the moment. Its still takes way to long to watch.

For potential customers wanting to see what you can do poeple will watch anything off the internet, They will understand a bit of compression as they are watching it on the internet. You can always at the end of the video say this is compressed for you veiwing speeds please contact me for a demo dvd, then send them the uncompressed version.

This is my view and please i am no expert, just giving you a jo puplic's view on it.
    DUDE were's my car
    www.myspace.com/cheapdirt07

oh sorry nice web site by the way
    DUDE were's my car
    www.myspace.com/cheapdirt07

Blog Entries

Gotta agree 100% with FNG.

Your showreel is a sales pitch. You are selling a service and your showreel is your advertisment. I wouldn't watch it because I can't be bothered to wait four months while it downloads. people who work in the media are aware of what compression is and FNG has a very good point about offering a small "teaser" and then the chance for those who want to see more to download the larger version.

If you make it difficult for people to see your advert, they won't bother. Marc Peters. pointed out the only official "rules" but Mark W. pointed out the practicality that if you post something you've got tpo expect criticism. If a number of people are criticising the large files on your website, then maybe you should listen instead of going straight on the defensive.

By the way "188mb are you kidding me?" is a short, succinct and valid way of making a criticism in my book.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    Gotta agree 100% with FNG.

By the way "188mb are you kidding me?" is a short, succinct and valid way of making a criticism in my book.
    yes sorry Firesuite i only had a few mins to write my comment and i didnt want to miss out. i understand that you want to deliver quality - 188mg is just silly! many compression progs do a very good job and still retain high quality. i have many videos on my site and none are uncompressed because i dont want people to think 'i only have a 1gb limit on my internet and this file is 188mg!' looking at it like this means that only people with an unlimited connection will bother to view it and therefor you are loosing out on viewers!

and lets be fare - was i wrong in what i said? seems to me that everyone else agrees 188mg is was too big.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast