Thread: Problems with sony HC40

Default Problems with sony HC40

Hi everyone,

Big problems with my videocamera Sony HC40, that I use quite much since 1 year and a half:

-The LCD screen, which is tactile, is not working anymore. I think it's a connection problem, as in the beginning it only happened sometimes, when i touched the screen in a specific way.
    So before I take it to the repair shop, Has anyone ever had the same issue, and can repair it myself or is it difficult?

-The head are going really bad. 2 weeks after I bought it, it started displaying "head dirty use head cleaner" so i bought it and it got good. after a while (6 months), the cleaning were increasing, and the tapes sometime became stripped with previous recording. And then lately I have to clean it at almost every use, and sometimes when I normally film something, it appears that it wasn't recorded when I watch it. I had a look at other threads and I reckon it is a head problem, so is it possible to do anything before repairing it, and do you know a good repair shop in France ?

I can do without the LCD, but I think that without heads I'll have to stop my carreer...

Cheers!

Blog Entries

Camcorder heads do occasionally need a clean and they do eventually wear out. However in most cases the heads will last as long as the camcorder, a few thousand hours of use is typical so unless you shoot every day i would say you are unlucky that the haeds are worn out so soon.

Did you buy it new? It may be worth contacting Sony if it has been little used. A repair is likely to cost as much as 150 to 200 pounds in english money - near the value of the camera...

When my vx9000 went wrong (f wire port) the repair bill was 500 so I just purchased another camera off e bay.

I've been to a repair shop yesterday and they told me that the tapes should be used once or twice and that's it. What do you think of it ?

When did you purchase your camcorder and how much experience do you have using equipment like this? Did purchase it new in a shop or is it an already used camcorder? You should only use a cleaning tape every couple of months as over use can probably be just as bad on the heads as under use.

Default hmmm...

My camcorder was bought new 18 months ago. I didn't know I needed "experience" using this, as it's my first one. But I was as careful as possible with it, considering how much I paid it. The thing is I often film kitesurf, which involves sand water and wind...

The thing is that when my camera displays "head dirty use cleaning tape" I have no choice but do it....

Do you thing MiniDV tapes can be used several times or just once ? Do I have to buy a new cleaning tape when mine has reached the end ? Thanks !!!

Blog Entries

The tapes can be used many times.