Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop Legends reply

Exclamation Photoshop Legends reply

Quick question for photoshop users-

When you cut and past part of one picture on to the next,
    is their anyway/filter etc that can be applied to help the hard edges of the photo part that's been cut out, to help it blend into the picture it's been placed on/in?

I tried using the 'Feather' but I don't know the correct tool to highlight around the rough edges so as I can feather them. Besides I don't think photoshop allows you to use the 'Feather' command if an actual section is highlighted(selected)

Also I tried selecting the area and applying a blur, it doesn't help at all either!

Any suggestions?, it'll be much appreciated.

I know theirs a way to blend photo's together with a nice edge making the included piece look as if it's always been their, but I obviously need help finding it

This can be accomplished through the use of layer masks and the brush tool.

This should help you
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Dude who are you, and where you been all my editing life?

seriously thanks, you've sold another problem that was haunting me.

PS. I posted this about 10 minutes ago, your quick. You must have a whole bag of arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by john12
    Quick question for photoshop users-

When you cut and past part of one picture on to the next,
    is their anyway/filter etc that can be applied to help the hard edges of the photo part that's been cut out, to help it blend into the picture it's been placed on/in?

I tried using the 'Feather' but I don't know the correct tool to highlight around the rough edges so as I can feather them. Besides I don't think photoshop allows you to use the 'Feather' command if an actual section is highlighted(selected)

Also I tried selecting the area and applying a blur, it doesn't help at all either!

Any suggestions?, it'll be much appreciated.

I know theirs a way to blend photo's together with a nice edge making the included piece look as if it's always been their, but I obviously need help finding it
    Even though you have your answer I'd like to add that you can use the feather tool on any selection in Photoshop.

Hi Alan, When I actually select the cut out, then use the feather tool, it seems to only feather from the cut out line-in, or from the cut out line-out, I can't work out how to get it to feather on both sides of the line highlighted so as it blends together and looks as though the cut out/photo was supposed to be their in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by john12 View Post
    Hi Alan, When I actually select the cut out, then use the feather tool, it seems to only feather from the cut out line-in, or from the cut out line-out, I can't work out how to get it to feather on both sides of the line highlighted so as it blends together and looks as though the cut out/photo was supposed to be their in the first place
    Do you know what. I would expect there is a 'proper' way of doing this but I don't know it. However, I do have a work-around (as always).

Make you selection and then depending on whether you are acting on the inside or outside of the selection (of course you'll need to 'invert' it to work on the outside) you can choose Select -> Modify -> Expand... or Contract... to adjust the selection slightly and then when you apply your effect you will have effectively placed your original selection along the middle of the feathering.

It does (sort of) work but I can imagine that it's not bullet proof. If I think or find a 'better' way I'll let you know.]

Cheers
    Alan

Actually mate, I've come up with the only solution that seems to work. (I'm sure theirs many more ways, however)
    using a mask, and feathering the edges using a bigger brush seems to get the exact look I was trying to achieve. I have to play around with the brush sizes to get it in nice and close,
    but it works Perfect!

I appreciate your reply, thanks

I usually cut out selections using an Ď0í pixel feather to give a sharp edge. I then use the blur tool, at a low setting, to soften some of the edges Ė not all of them. This gives more control, depending on what it is youíre selecting, and helps to blend a cut-out into a new background.

Thanks Tony for reply,
    What do you cut it out with (ie- lasso, magne etc)
    my cuts are always way to rough, the tool never follows the line well enough

Smile

Well-defined objects can be cut with the polygonal lasso, but you must use a high magnification otherwise each click will appear too angular. With practice, you can achieve gentle curves.

For use in video, I delete the background of selected objects. Once youíve done this, the object can be re-selected easily with the magic wand tool. Just click once on the background, which encloses the whole deleted area in one go. Then click select > inverse to nicely put a tight marquee round your object. Job done.

I use PSD files for transparency. But you can do the above method with files that donít support transparency like bmp, jpeg etc, but the background will be white, or whatever default colour is chosen. Selection using the magic wand is the same.

If you have Photoshop 7 or above, try select > extract (I think thatís it) for a brilliant way of cutting out objects with awkward contours Ė like fur, hair and irregular jagged edges. Havenít used it for a while.

The pen tool is the expertís way of selecting smooth curves, like the contours of a car for instance, but itís a pig Ė Iíve never mastered it. If you can manage bezier curves, then you'll crack it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast