Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: converting VOB to AVI (not using virtual flop)

Unhappy converting VOB to AVI (not using virtual flop)

Does anyone know a free way to convert VOB files to AVI but not using virtualdub.

Ive just got a lets say internship with an multi award winning production company over here in Aus. I need to re-make samples of their latest trailer to take into work next week, hence I need to convert the VOB files to AVI to edit in AE7

Virtualdub is not an option for me because no adobe software will allow it to be imported due to unrecognizable compression rate. It converts it, but the picture and sound are all out of wack, so even if I could import it, it would be useless anyhow.

So can anyone suggest away to convert VOB's to AVI's with out using virtualflop

Please post
    Last edited by john12; 08-26-2006 at 07:04 AM.

Has anyone tried using XiliSoft DVD Ripper to convert the files?
    (just found it on the net but don't want to install until get some feed back)

I once used WinAVI (not from Vob to AVI, but it pretty much supports anything to anything conversion). Great piece of software and if I was attempting to do what you are doing it would be my first port of all. Interface was great too.

http://www.mp3towav.org/WinAVI-Video-Converter/
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

who ever you are LJR, your a legend.
    Just downloaded it. It's unbelievable as apposed to the crap I've been trying to use.

The interface is clean and smooth, which is a big plus for me. I don't like to have ugly stuff on my computer. I know it sounds strange but my computer is like my baby and only the best goes on it. It's got to look slick to be aloud on my screen, which is why I like Adobe software so much (apart from what it's made for)

This WinAVI is unbelievably easy to use, fast & gives no problems

Thanks, I appreciate the link you supplied, allowing me one less usual headache.

Thanks

I agree. I've used WinAVI a few times. I don't have cause to use it that often, but it's one of those you can use infrequently and not have to worry about how you did it last time because the interface is exceptionally intuitive.

Remember to register
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Exactly, Cheers

I haven't used any software to convert DVD files to avi's. What I do is I copy all the files on the DVD (finalized) to a folder on the HD, and right mouse click over the video files (1Gb each in size) and rename them to something more recognisable and give them the .avi extension. The icon will change and you can then open them in any package that will read .avi files. Try it to see.

O.k Nikosony, I tried it and it worked! You've just rendered all those software packages that do this converting, as completely useless!

I take it that the different file types mean different compression rates,
    but I checked the quality after using this trick of the footage, and it looks as good as it ever did

The only problem I'm having with this and using the supposed correct software to do this,
    is that if the files over roughly 350 MB in size, Premier Pro, AE etc, won't allow me to bring them in. The whole program shuts straight down.

Now it does this with Virtualdub as well as WinAVI, so I'm guessing that maybe a simple setting in my programs is set not to allow a file over a certain size to be imported-

or- maybe it's too big a file to pull into any non-linear software in one hit.

If so, can I break the file down in size, (say half) or is that impossible?

I'd appreciate some help in these issues, for theirs much work I need to do!

Thanks in advance

I'm glad that I could help you with the conversion process, I've looked at those files aswell and I can't see any change either after converting. I can't understand why you can't import a 350Mb file into Adobe, as I've pulled in 1Gb files at a time after transferring a .vob file from DVD to the hard disc and then giving it the .avi extension, it retains it's 1Gb filesize and so I just open up Adobe and bring it in. It has to do a bit of work on the audio track, you'll see a blue bar down at the bottom right of the screen but apart from that everything is OK. As you say there might be a setting you need to change in Adobe, can't think off hand what it is though.

I've looked and can't find it, but as far as the changing the file name,
    there's got to be more to it.

Who knows!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast