Thread: Best audio for web

Default Best audio for web

Can anyone tell me what the best settings are for rendering audio for uploading to a web site?

Blog Entries

I find wma / mp3 work fine and stream into most players, I generally use a bit rate of 128.

Ogg claims to be superior to mp3 and give similar (or slightly better) sound than wma (wma sounds better than mp3 to me) but I havent used it as I am not sure that it streams on the well used players.

edit

ON the web page if you are using just place a link to the file and most players appear to automatically open, play and stream when the file is selected, but i have to say I am not an html expert.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasarian
    Can anyone tell me what the best settings are for rendering audio for uploading to a web site?
    What is it exactly you are trying to achive? There are various diffrent methods in delivery of audio to web but they all work in diffrent ways in diffrent contextxs

Thanks for replies 2 Marks. Someone wants me to put some background music on their homepage. I have the audio in Vegas and just wondered what file type and settings to render too to optimise quality and file size. I'm clueless about audio. I'm pretty clueless about video too but I seem to be gettin away with that!. Oh! and the music is a pumping bass track from Cinescore.

2 things -
    1 if the site is not flash based it will be hard to get the tune to load quickly resulting in the page loading then the tune will play once it has loaded sufficiently to play.
    2 Make sure u add a mute button to the page. There is nothing more annoying then visiting a website with a tune playing and not being able to shut it down.

Both these are achievable using diffrent javascripts

Yea the loading thing was a problem when I tried it as MP3...took 5 seconds for the music to play by which time I guess most people will have entered the site. good tip about the mute button...hadn't occurred to me. Will other file types load quicker?.

Blog Entries

Personally, I hate web sites that play music at me so if they must have a tune droning on, as Irish says, put an off button up too.

you aint gonna like this then mark... www.dreamweavervideo.co.uk

Blog Entries

No, that dont get me all flustered as it is only the intro page... it did take 7 sec to load. Music has it's place on swish intro screens for sure, heck mine even plays video at you too!

.........and your homepage piano starts playing instantly on my comp!. What type of file is it?.