Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: capturing movement from google earth - possible?

1. Default capturing movement from google earth - possible?

Hi there, I have an idea but no idea how to implement it.

I want to capture a piece of footage where google earth moves from one place to another - so basically, I want to capture the movement as it appears on the computer screen digitally, and then use it in a video (without filming it, obviously). Does anyone know if this is possible somehow using a standard camcorder (Canon MV550i), or via some other means using some piece of software? I can connect my camera up to a VCR to capture to mini DV from analogue tapes, but don't know if it could also work in this way.

Many thanks,

Berkshire, UK

I would have thought you could do this using something like Fraps.

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources:, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

3. Default

I hadn't heard of this - I'll give it a try. Thanks!

I also wanted such capture earlier in the year on one of my projects. In the end I used my TV-Out card to capture the PC screen directly (via S-Video cable) into my DV camcorder. Then transferred this footage back to the pc for editing. A lengthy process but the results were pretty cool.
    Andy Holland

5. Default

Andyholland - This is the sort of thing I was afraid I'd have to do but I downloaded the free version of Fraps, which took about 10 minutes and worked beautifully first time - I was amazed. Thanks LJR.

Hi, I am new to this forum and before asking i searched and found this post which describes exactly what i am trying to do.

I have made a folder of places in "My Places" (locations on a holiday) , then choosing on play tour makes a nice little animated video.

The question i have is can anyone recomend good screen capture, I have used Fraps but tried others because i have found that the video is juddery with the appearance of many dropped frames.

I have also tried a few other bits of software ;
    "Quick Screen Recorder" - this was good as its not resticted in function, but you can only do 15 records in the trial which is a fair deal really.
    "Replay Screen Capture" - this was alright, but low quality.

The main problem with these is getting a high enough frame rate to capture the detail.

Can anyone give me any tips, I have so far trying to get the capture at about 25 fps but i am not sure on how to get a good resolution to the footage, is this the bitrate?

I am bringing it into Premiere Pro.

Oh and my spec should be alright i think, there has been no visible lag in anything.

CPU - Dual Core 64bit Turion
    Graphics - Nvidia Go 7200 (128mb ram).
    RAM - 1 gb

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

The sample video doesn't work, Marc.

Default thanks !

I am just looking through the thread you referred and it is like a tutorial - perfect, thanks very much.

Blog Entries

It was a tutorial I wrote just over a year ago when I had time for such things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast