Thread: Q for Photoshop users

Default Q for Photoshop users

Hi all

I'm absolutely stumped on the issue of resizing a photograph!
    I resize using the option allocated in the menu bar,
    HOWEVER the problem I'm having is that nearly every photo I use, I crop first.
    But once the photo is cropped, obviously the size is completely different!
    Now when i use the resize option, i click the chain (what ever it's called) to keep the ratio aspect right for the pixels etc but when i go down to my local photo place to developed the photo's, they only allow a certain few sizes to be developed in.

Hence the problem.
    Once they change my photo to these sizes, the finished developed photo is all out of wack.

Now I know the way around this is to not crop the photo's in the first place,
    but in photo expression, it's a must (in my eyes anyway)

So 1.- How do I get around this
    2.- What sizes are photo's supposed to be, can i crop it to that exact size? etc etc
    & 3.- What sizes etc do you guys make your photo's as (save your photo's as)

Can some one please tell me what they do, or explain what's the best option to aim for etc etc?

Thanks in advance, this problem has haunted me since getting into Photo shop!

I think the typical photo size is 4" by 6" (don't quote me on that). That would require an initial resolution of 1280 x 960. Now in regard to the cropping, and bearing in mind i totally am no expert on this, can't you just crop how you want it to be and drop the cropped image on a white canvas of the correct size (1280 x 960)?

You will of course have white all around the photo but that's your only choice I think given that you are cropping your image, the only other option is to stretch it but I think that's what the photo lab is doing.

There maybe others here who have a much better idea of what to do.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Just found this too:Photo Paper Sizes

Standard American photo paper sizes:
    4"x6", 5"x7", 8"x10", also 8"x12", 12"x18", 16"x20", 16"x24", 20"x24", 20"x30".

Standard European photo paper sizes: 9x13 cm, 10x15 cm, 13x18 cm.

European Passport photo size: 5,12 cm x 3,84 cm (2" x 1.5").

Photo prints are based on the 35 mm photo film format:
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

If I understand you right you want an easy way of getting atsnadard size image (say 6x4in @ 300 dpi) after cropping right?

If you have a recent copy ()i.e. last few version) of Photoshop you can do this in one step. Ok two but the first is opening the file.

Open your image, any size and any dpi.

Select the crop tool.

once selected in the toolbar you have three little boxes for wiodth, height and dpi.

In width enter the text "6 in", in height enter "4 in" and dpi enter "300". Now do your 'crop'. You'll notice the ratio is contrained to the dimensions entered. Once you're done your crop will will be left with an image of exact size and dpi as entered.

i could be wrong here (and mostly likely am) but if you try to crop an image that you've set the program to auto constrain, depending on what/how you crop it, you won't be able to make the image a perfect 4X6, you'd most likely end up with something 4X7.934(those are just numbers i made up btw, they aren't actual. you give the program the first size you want, and it will automatically generate the second when it constrains your photo to keep the quality without stretching or flattening it) so just be aware of that when you're resizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cally
    i could be wrong here (and mostly likely am) but if you try to crop an image that you've set the program to auto constrain, depending on what/how you crop it, you won't be able to make the image a perfect 4X6, you'd most likely end up with something 4X7.934(those are just numbers i made up btw, they aren't actual. you give the program the first size you want, and it will automatically generate the second when it constrains your photo to keep the quality without stretching or flattening it) so just be aware of that when you're resizing.
    You are kind of right but only if you are unconstrained resizing.

Alan Mills is spot on cropping 2 a specific size and resolution is the way to go.

Click Here

This may help clarify things.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

OMG! kind of right? that's WAY better than i thought it'd be!

Thanks to all,
    you've just saved me a headache that I've had a long time
    Thanks Miwhel for putting that tutorial link on here, it was an awsome help, as was everyone elses replies!

Cheers

For whom ever may know the answer to this-

When I choose the crop tool and choose the appropriate size as Alan suggested,
    the crop tool only lets me pull the slider as far as the size I've chosen allows
    HOWEVER the size that it allows me to go to (which is standard photo size 6in by 4inch)
    is actually not right. how i know this is if i take a photo that i have had printed at a store numerous times and it comes out perfect at 4by 6, it actually only allows me to crop pretty much exactly half the photo.
    Now this doesn't make sense, because if it's cropping for a 4by6 photo size, why is it only covering half of a photo that prints exactly perfect.

I hope you guys understood what i meant. Its harder to explain through writing than it obviously is through demonstration

any views

Quote Originally Posted by john12 View Post
    For whom ever may know the answer to this-

When I choose the crop tool and choose the appropriate size as Alan suggested,
    the crop tool only lets me pull the slider as far as the size I've chosen allows
    HOWEVER the size that it allows me to go to (which is standard photo size 6in by 4inch)
    is actually not right. how i know this is if i take a photo that i have had printed at a store numerous times and it comes out perfect at 4by 6, it actually only allows me to crop pretty much exactly half the photo.
    Now this doesn't make sense, because if it's cropping for a 4by6 photo size, why is it only covering half of a photo that prints exactly perfect.

I hope you guys understood what i meant. Its harder to explain through writing than it obviously is through demonstration

any views
    The value you enter into the crop tool will force the ratio only. They do not police how large you can drag you crop selection.

Reading your post a second time it migth simply be that you have 6x4 picture and are cropping to 4x6 i.e. you started with a landscape image and set your crop dimension to be portrait.