Thread: Hardware not up to Par

Default Hardware not up to Par

I was what kind of upgrades I should get in order to efficiently video edit and what not. My current computer specs are as follows:
    Nvidia 128mb Geforce4 mx 440 with AGP 8x
    Celeron 2.0 ghz CPU
    1.0gb DDR RAM
    80gb HD
    Not sure about the motherboard.
    From what I gathered from my current experience with video editing with these specs, it does not seem I can do HD editing and edit efficiently. It lags a whole lot, especially when I'm trying to export my work. A suggestion was given to me to upgrade my CPU to at least Intel 3.0ghz and perhaps get some more RAM to compensate for the outdated Geforce4. But on closer inspection, it turns out that I will need a better graphic card if I wish to keep my computer without upgrading it anymore, after this one, through university. I was wondering if someone could give me any suggestions as to what to get. Hopefully someone ha advice to share. Thanks in advance.

Personally I would upgrade for SD work, you'd need to get advice from someone else on HD but here goes...

Nvidia 128mb Geforce4 mx 440 with AGP 8x ---> PCI-E graphics card running at 16 speed and if you want to connect up a second monitor it is very useful

Celeron 2.0 ghz CPU---> Get a Intel Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading at least with 3.2Ghz cpu

1.0gb DDR RAM ---> should be fine but may need more for HD work

80gb HD ---> way tooooo small, get the largest you can afford and keep the small one for the operating system and all your other files

DVD burner and firewire port.

Make sure the Front Side Bus on the motherboard is clocked at 800mhz -- you need speed

ooo intense stuff, thanks bud....wow that's gon cost me -____-. Got an idea on the price range?

Quote Originally Posted by 3py0n
    ooo intense stuff, thanks bud....wow that's gon cost me -____-. Got an idea on the price range?

ROFL...... not that this is going to make you feel much better, but i'm looking into a new laptop decent for basic video editing, and from what i've found so far, i'm looking at spending in the area of $1500-$2000 USD. but that's for a laptop, if you go desktop, you'll not have to spend quite as much. so the short of it is, it's probably cheaper to upgrade your current system than to get an entirely new one. see, there IS light at the end of the tunnel!

-____-...would someone like to donate to the poor...I.e. me? :P but damn, that's really pricey, especially seeing that you mentioned the range in USD >< gahhhh....Guess I gotta work more now. But hmmm....is the DVD burner really necessary? PS: N e one know of what kind of laptop to get for like photoediting and stuff to do with new media? besides hardcore video editing? Which will be left for my desktop. I was looking into some cheap laptops in the range of 800-1000 that are fairly good. My father found a good deal...forgot the specs lol...but ya...thanks in advance all.

I don't follow prices in the US, but what kind of price range are video editing pc at? If you are on a tight budget the bare minimum I would recommend, others may disagree is 512Mb Ram, an Intel Pentium 4 processor, which runs at anywhere between 2.5Ghz and 3.0Ghz, the largest hard disk you can afford, preferably SATA running at 7200rpm although ATA - IDE would probably do, a firewire card for capture and of course a camcorder with DV in and Out if a DVD burner is out of the question, at least you'll be able to send your edited 'masterpiece' back out to a new tape and show it on TV using the camcorder as a playback deck, although camcorders where never designed as playback decks - you can shorten it's life by a large amount with all that rewinding and fast forwarding. A 128Mb graphics card (nothing fancy) and the motherboard running at 800Mhz is a must! 667Mhz and 533Mhz are noooooo good (I'm sure someone will pick me up on that point).

camcorder eh? What kind and what's the price range? Cause in high school I used like crazy expensive ones that were I don't know the price lol but it looked pro. It was like a GL2s or something...forgot the name rofl.

A 1CCD camcorder with DV out and DV in would do, again if the budget is tight. Try ebay and I'm sure other forum members can recommend other sites.