Thread: Rendered file being split into pieces

Exclamation Rendered file being split into pieces

Hi,

I've been using Vegas for quite a while and though I am not an expert, I've never come across this before.

I am trying to render a project that is about an hour and 40 minutes long. I've done similar things before and rendered them as uncompressed AVIs without any problems. I have the neccesary hard drive space for such a massive file.

The problem is that now when I render the project, it splits it into files that are 18:48 apiece. Why won't it render as one big file? The whole video is there, but in pieces. I really need it to be in one file. Please help.

If you are running your Windows XP with the FAT32 file system you will have a file size limit of 4GB. You should convert it to NTFS (which you can do natively within XP). There's more information on how to do this and the considerations here
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

I don't see how that could be it. As I've said, I've made videos that were MUCH larger than 4 GIG with Vegas before on an XP system. Besides, the files Vegas is creating are 2.32 GIG each, not 4.

Thanks very much for your input, but does anyone know of any other possibilites?

P.S. I am using Vegas 6.0, if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by Inverse Psychology; 08-20-2006 at 07:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Inverse Psychology
    ... I've made videos that were MUCH larger than 4 GIG with Vegas before on an XP system.....
    This implies that they were not on your current system but a different one. LJR is spot on with his explanation. Vegas divides it into two equal portions. That's what I used to experience anyway.

True. I have been on different systems.

But why was I able on this system to capture footage into files much larger than 4 GIG?

Blog Entries

Computers do weird things !

I think it may be the fat32 thing, I run NTFS and I havent had this happen to me...

Nevermind, problem solved. My friend pointed out to me that one of my hard drives (the one I was using to save the file, taken from my old computer) is set to FAT32, but my other hard drive is set to NTFS. So now all I have to do is make some room on the NTFS drive and save it there, I think.

Thanks for all your help.

Glad you got it sorted
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid