Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant get better quality on my video imports, HELP.

Exclamation Cant get better quality on my video imports, HELP.

For some reason, when I go to import video from my Sony CCD- TRV608 Hi8 Camcoorder, the video seems to be extremely....well...shitty. I'm using the usb streaming with Pinnacle Studio 9 and not getting anything worth watching for quality. Below is a link of one of my videos I have imported and you can tell the quality is complete crap.

How can I improve this? Thanks guys.

Blog Entries

Using firewire will cure this. USB is not meant for streaming video, f wire is.

Hi8 is a high-band analogue format. I suspect that swapping to Firewire will make zero difference. This seems to be the blanket response when anyone ever mentions "usb". I suggest an understanding of data rates is required regarding streaming/capturing vhs, hi band analogue, DV, and HD formats. Analogue (VHS, VHS-C, Hi8, SVHS) video capture used to be done over Parallel ports (firewire hasn't been around forever you know) which is a lot slower than even USB 1.0.

On to the originator's question. Can I ask you a couple of questions. Firstly, the source video footage that you capture to your drive? Is the quality better than that you just showed in your link? How did you encode the video which you are linking to and what options/settings did you use?

Finally, remember that Hi8 is an analogue format (albeit near broadcast quality). You will not get digital quality no matter what you do. I would expect better than what I saw on your video, but again, the video I watched was an export and the compression used there will have had its effect.

Can you post, say a five second clip, of the original AVI you captured to? (i.e. not exported)
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Just thought as well. Are you definitely using Hi8 tapes and not regular 8mm ones? The Hi8 cameras will support both formats but of course you only get the 400 line resolution with Hi8 tapes.

Another thing you could try is to connect your camera directly to your TV or video recorder and just see what the "native" resolution looks like. Just to ensure that the source quality is there before worrying about anything else.
    Lloyd

Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

Dump the hi 8 and get a dv camera. Better in every way really. SH stuff on e bay for 50 quid up.

I rashley assumed that your wiere using hi8 dig, hence my unhelpfull suggestion above.

I really would agree with Mark. By the very virtue that you have sought out a video editing forum and are concerned with output quality, you are really in the market for a miniDV camcorder. Hi8 suited at a time when there was nothing better, and for those now who are really not that fussed over the resulting video. eBay is a good place to start, or the classified ads here on this forum.
    Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W
    Using firewire will cure this. USB is not meant for streaming video, f wire is.
    I dont believe this camera has a firewire connection on it. Unless USB and firewire both connect in the same slot on this camera.

Anyone know what cable I need to get to hook it up to my PC's tv card?

The camera has these on the side:

S-Video Out

A/V Out

RFU DC Out

I imagine I'd want to use the a/v out but I have no idea what the cable looks like that I need to use.

Blog Entries

I should read the thread again if i were you....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W
    I should read the thread again if i were you....
    I'd rather try buying a cable and hooking it up to my tv card to see if I'll get better quality, before buying a whole new camcoorder.

Can I just clear one thing up, HI 8 analogue camcorders don't have either USB or Firewire, I had a Canon V75Hi recently (to transfer old 8MM and HI8 tapes onto both computer and DVD)and I would have sold one of my kidneys to have had a Firewire port on it. It will have both S-video and Composite video outputs, to get the best picture quality get an S-video cable and if you have that connection on your computer connect up that way, you will have to run the audio out separately to the sound card as an S-video cable only carries pictures (the chrominance and luminance signals are separated to give the much higher picture quality compared to Composite video where they are combined).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast