Thread: Pinnacle 10 text overlay

Default Pinnacle 10 text overlay

Hey guys, Im new to video editing and I heard and read that pinnacle is a good program, moreso for professional editing, but I think I've done everything possible with windows movie maker, so I upgraded.

My issue is that I'm trying to put transparent text in my video so that its all black with the exception of transparent text which I want my video to show through. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just choose OVERLAY TITLE in the Title Editor window, instead of FULL-SCREEN TITLE.

Default re:

nah, ive tried that. all that does is overlay the title with the video. i want no video coming through except through the transparent letters.

I don't get it. It's either overlay or full-screen, which of the two do you want?

Default Re:

If you do overlay title, it does just that. It overlays the title so you see the title over the video. Full screen just gives a screen with a title. I WANT to be able to have a transparent title with video showing ONLY through the letters. The letters will be completely surrounded in black, but video will show THROUGH the letters.

Stupid me. Now I know what you want. The bad news is you can't do it in the standard version of Studio. You need an editor that can work with at least two video tracks. You can upgrade to Studio Plus, or find another multitrack editor. Once you find that program, create a still image containing the text you want, 2-colors only (one for the background and one for the text), make the text color transparent and save everything as GIF or PNG (to mantain transparency). Or you can make that color transparent directly in the video editor. So place your video on the first video track and the still on the secondary track, adjusting its duration as necessary. And that's it.

Damn shame it's Pinnacle Studio. I know exactly how to do this in Liquid using its Trackmatte feature.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid