Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film2Music Short Film Contest - Grand Prize $10,000

Default Film2Music Short Film Contest - Grand Prize $10,000

Earlier this year, composer Kubilay Uner released CINEMATIC, a CD with twelve tracks of acoustic instruments and electronic sounds that conjure up vivid images and evolving stories - music for the stories unfolding in your head.

Now he invites you to show the world what the music stirs up in YOU:

Which places do you visit?
    What images do you see?
    Where do the tracks take you?
    __________________________________________________ ___________

Live action or animation - realistic or abstract.
    Film or video - paper or flash.
    Act it. Draw it. Dance it.
    Any visuals you can imagine, but no other sounds besides the music.
    A panel of internationally renowned filmmakers will determine one Grand Prize winner and two Second Prize winners:

writer/director MICHAEL POLISH (Twin Falls Idaho, Northfork, The Astronaut Farmer)
    producer CLARK PETERSON (Monster, Behind the Smile, My Date with Drew)
    producer JACKIE GEORGE (Demolition Man, Richie Rich, Searching for David's Heart)
    producer/director JAMES C. HART (CSI, Chicago Hope, Medical Investigation)
    cinematographer M. DAVID MULLEN, ASC (Akeelah and the Bee, The Astronaut Farmer)
    animator/producer DAVE BOSSERT (Creative Director for Special Projects at Disney Animation; Fantasia 2000)

A WORLDWIDE INTERNET AUDIENCE will vote for the Online Audience Award winner.
    GRAND PRIZE: US $10,000
    TWO SECOND PRIZES: US $1,000 each
    The Grand Prize winner will also get the opportunity for a personal meeting with veteran producer Jackie George (Demolition Man, Richie Rich, Searching for David's Heart). Additional meeting opportunities for the Grand Prize winner, i.e. with an agent from one of Hollywood's top agencies, are planned. Details to follow soon.

The winners will be officially announced and all winning entries (plus a selection of finalists) will be publicly screened at the official CINEMATIC CD FILM2MUSIC SCREENING & RECEPTION (January 2007.) Additional screening opportunities are in the works.
    Registration $9 includes all music downloads.

Submit your finished film between now and November 1st, 2006.

(The sooner you submit and post your film online, the more time you'll have to gather votes for the Online Audience Award... so register now!)

For more information and to register, go to

Click here to watch the teaser clip for the Film2Music competition
    Please also share this announcement with everyone you believe may be interested: filmmakers, animators, video artists, etc. Thank you!

We put up brief video statements by composer and competition sponsor Kubilay Uner and by three of the six members of our esteemed panel of judges:

producer/director James C. Hart (CSI, Chicago Hope)
    producer Jackie George (Demolition Man, Richie Rich)
    animator/producer Dave Bossert (Fantasia 2000)

Go to the competition website at to watch them.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Registration $9 - Hmm, sorry to be sceptical but this looks like a schill game to me.

Forgive me for asking but... have you even been to the website?

There are far better ways to screw people out of their hard-earned cash than to

- release a CD's worth of non-pop instrumental music
    - try and reach the relatively small number of people worldwide that may actually be capable of shooting a good and interesting short film to such music in less than three months
    - gather six of the most accomplished people in the LA film business to be your panel of judges,
    - charge a 70% LOWER registration fee than the very cheapest film contests out there (most here in the US are $50, $100 and more, and none are under $25)
    - include an entire album's worth of music downloads as part of the registration process, since you have to have the music to be able to shoot to it (the album sells for US$9.99 on iTunes, and $12.99 on CD Baby and Amazon)
    - and then administer a contest for three months, plus then the judging process afterwards, and then the screening and reception...

Go to the competition website to see some statements by the judges. Check their IMDb pages (linked from the judges page.) Check out my composer website (linked from the competition website.) Then, if you still don't feel comfortable, simply don't enter.

If you (or anyone else) have questions, you can contact me easily via the competition website and I will gladly answer to every concern. This contest is completely on the level, and many extraordinary people are publicly supporting it with their time, help and good name.

Kubilay Uner
    Last edited by Film2Music; 08-22-2006 at 12:41 AM.

5. Default

now now ladies! calm your pants! seems like a good idea im sure $9 or about 4 will put some people off but im sure this kind of thing needs funding especially when there is a cash prize!

good luck to you.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Hmm, well call me a cynic then rather than a scepic.

Blog Entries

Spedning so much time on the internet, we tend to get a feel for SPAM and dodgy 'competitions'. Unfortunately you haven't done yourselves any favours in the way in which you've marketed yourself. In fact it looks exactly like all the other SPAM posts ever posted here.

Perhaps it would have been better if you'd supplied admin with a Press Release promoting the event?

Just sent you a press release via PM.

As for everyone else, I invite you to visit the website.
    There's plenty of information there that should help answer any concerns some of you may have.
    I am very proud of this event and have sunk an extraordinary amount of time and money into it.

The main reason I am doing this is that I want to find a better way to bring my 'non-pop' instrumental music to the average listener. The one thing I feel this kind of music does best is take the listener on a journey without pre-defining via lyrics what that journey should be. Every listener makes his/her own. What better way to illustrate that point than have multiple, vastly different short films created to the same pieces of music, and engage people via the online voting process to watch as many of them as possible?

It's also a great creative challenge to the filmmaker to on the one hand follow a fairly strict formal roadmap presented by the music, but on the other hand have no restrictions on interpretation/content. And no verbal or narrative safety net, it's ALL images.

This is the reason the judges came on board. They are genuinely curious to see what you folks come up with.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Send me some music gratis and I will give it a go....

Yeah, give us the music!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast